Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I've applied to study Economics at all my university choices but I really only want to go to my Firm choice (Reading) now because I feel the course content completely suits me and it's not too far from home either as I plan to travel.

However, their requirement is ABB.. Realistically, I'm confident I'll get BBB. So, I'm confused whether I should put it up as my firm choice because I've heard that once I'm rejected on UCAS they won't take me through clearing either (even though their requirements will probably be lower)??

Do you think I should put it up as my firm choice and Hertfordshire as my insurance (they want BBB). And then on results day if I'm rejected by Reading and got three B's I can get Hertfordshire to reject me and try for Reading through clearing?? It's a risk but I really am passionate about the course at Reading....So confused! :confused:

Any advice is helpful
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If a uni has spaces in Clearing they would consider you for them before rejecting you. They can take some people who miss their offer. So if they reject you then you won't get in through Clearing for the same course, because they've already considered if you're suitable.

Don't put down Hertfordshire as your insurance if you don't want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same situation with Reading and Swansea. I've heard that if you choose them as your firm they're likely to still accept you with BBB. Not sure whether this is true though..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TP8)
    I'm in exactly the same situation with Reading and Swansea. I've heard that if you choose them as your firm they're likely to still accept you with BBB. Not sure whether this is true though..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is - every years thousands of students miss their offer grades and still get accepted by their firm.

There are a lot of variables involved which not even the university can predict so there is always the chance they will reject you but if you miss your grades then your firm choice gets dibs on whether they want you or not before you get passed to your insurance or into clearing.

This is why it is REALLY important to chose your favourite university as your firm and somewhere you would be HAPPY to go to as your insurance REGARDLESS of the grades they're asking for.

Don't pick a firm or insurance that you don't want to go to - it's better to get straight into clearing than be committed to a place you don't want.
    Similarly don't try to play games or second guess what will happen based on your offers and predictions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.