Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the big difference between public school and private school? I don't understand why there's all this talk about which unis have people largely from public schools or people largely from private schools! :confused:

Obviously, I'm not from the UK so all it's confusing to me. Could someone explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinigyal)
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the big difference between public school and private school? I don't understand why there's all this talk about which unis have people largely from public schools or people largely from private schools! :confused:

Obviously, I'm not from the UK so all it's confusing to me. Could someone explain?
    In the UK, unlike in the US, 'public school' refers to a private school (strictly speaking not all private schools are public schools, but in this context the terms can be regarded as meaning the same thing).

The US 'public school' we refer to as a state school.

ReputationRep:
    'Public Schools' in the UK are the oldest, most elite of the private schools. They are called 'public' because they used to be the only schools which would admit anyone (provided they could pay, of course) without a religious test.

ReputationRep:
    Ok: In the UK :

Public School: A private boarding school in Great Britain for pupils between the ages of 13 and 18.

Private School:A secondary or elementary school run and supported by private individuals or a corporation rather than by a government or public agency.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically the two terms are used interchangeably. If you paid for your education, then you can be said to have gone to public school or private school. Public school is generally used to describe the older schools though, not normally a term reserved solely for boarding schools. St.Pauls, Westminster, Kings College School Wimbledon etc are usually referred to as public schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And just to confuse the matter there are a small number of boarding schools which are state schools (boarders just have to pay for their board not their fees)
    http://www.sbsa.org.uk/
    That's not particularly confusing (probably as my old school was one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    That's not particularly confusing (probably as my old school was one).
    public schools = private+big+more expensive+boarding ok!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I (and most people) are concerned, they're the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    As far as I (and most people) are concerned, they're the same thing
    it definitely isnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    it definitely isnt
    As far as most people are concerned, there is little difference. The only people who really care are public school kids who don't want their schools associated with "scummy" newish private schools. My school was very expensive for what it was, but was not what some people would classify as public.

Ok... so a public school is the more exclusive, more expensive school where all the posh people go while private school is for the general public basically?

If that's the case, it's so weird, cuz here it's the reverse: the private schools are the expensive places that lots of people would like to get into but can't afford, while public schools are the government schools that everyone can get into, but doesn't necessarily want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    St.Pauls, Westminster, Kings College School Wimbledon etc are usually referred to as public schools.
    The seven original public schools are: Eton, Winchester, Harrow, Rugby, Westminster, Charterhouse and Shrewsbury.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Not quite

You have to pay for both public and private schools, public schools (like to think they) are a little bit *more* exclusive/expensive etc that normal private schools

Schools that are free to attend are called state schools.
    Ohhhh... NOW i get it. Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sisyphus)
    In the UK, unlike in the US, 'public school' refers to a private school (strictly speaking not all private schools are public schools, but in this context the terms can be regarded as meaning the same thing).

The US 'public school' we refer to as a state school.
    She's not from the US, she's from Trinidad lol.

(Original post by young_free)
    She's not from the US, she's from Trinidad lol.
    T'is true! Thanks for pointing that out.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.