Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I am looking for a little help from fellow students/graduates. I graduated last summer from Glasgow Caledonian University with a First in Interior Design. Working as a designer can often be unreliable or only temporary so I thought a career in teaching would give me the career security I wish but also be very rewarding. I have always loved the school environment and have some great memories of growing up there which I would like to give back to future students.
    I am open to teaching in a secondary school (probably preferable), or in a college environment in Scotland or in fact wider UK. I feel that I would enjoy teaching Art & Design most but worry that my undergraduate University degree is not close enough module-wise to teach it (too technical - I learned a lot of technical drawing, CAD and photoshop). I am probably more qualified to teach Graphic Design/Product design in schools but I am not as interested in teaching that and would not like to teach Technical Studies (woodwork etc) which I worry comes along side?

I recently found out that all the Art & Design teaching courses at Scottish Universities are now full for next terms intake so will probably need to take another year out. Is there any courses or classes I could take to boost my credentials to teach Art & Design at either level? I also have no clue about what teacher training course I would study to teach in a college environment, I have tried to look it up but the info I have found isn't very clear. Can anyone shed some light?

I am looking for tips, help or inspiration from anyone who knows anything about teaching any of these subjects. Please help! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrelevantGirl)
    I also have no clue about what teacher training course I would study to teach in a college environment, I have tried to look it up but the info I have found isn't very clear. Can anyone shed some light?
    I can help on this part. You would still need to complete a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) to teach in Further Education such as a college.

Some secondary PGCEs will take you that far, but there are separate FE PGCEs I believe, but they don't give you QTS(Qualified Teacher Status).

If you can't get onto one for a year, you could consider trying to get a job as a Teaching Assistant to see if you enjoy the profession and to get to know more about it.

Hope that helps a little!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrelevantGirl)
    Hi everyone

I am looking for a little help from fellow students/graduates. I graduated last summer from Glasgow Caledonian University with a First in Interior Design. Working as a designer can often be unreliable or only temporary so I thought a career in teaching would give me the career security I wish but also be very rewarding. I have always loved the school environment and have some great memories of growing up there which I would like to give back to future students.
    I am open to teaching in a secondary school (probably preferable), or in a college environment in Scotland or in fact wider UK. I feel that I would enjoy teaching Art & Design most but worry that my undergraduate University degree is not close enough module-wise to teach it (too technical - I learned a lot of technical drawing, CAD and photoshop). I am probably more qualified to teach Graphic Design/Product design in schools but I am not as interested in teaching that and would not like to teach Technical Studies (woodwork etc) which I worry comes along side?

I recently found out that all the Art & Design teaching courses at Scottish Universities are now full for next terms intake so will probably need to take another year out. Is there any courses or classes I could take to boost my credentials to teach Art & Design at either level? I also have no clue about what teacher training course I would study to teach in a college environment, I have tried to look it up but the info I have found isn't very clear. Can anyone shed some light?

I am looking for tips, help or inspiration from anyone who knows anything about teaching any of these subjects. Please help! :confused:
    Gain experience in a secondary school volunteering as a teaching assistant first. Talk to teachers. Find out if you'd like the reality of the role, not just the memories you have of it. And I'm not being patronising, many people don't realise how tough teaching is.
    It is also very competitive, so you will need a lot of experience with the age range you want to teach. Get a job as a teaching assistant, volunteer in schools, volunteer at youth clubs etc.
    There are several post-graduate routes that you could take into teaching. These are: PGCE, SCITT, School Direct, Teach First. Research all of these and find out which one you feel would be best for you.
    The only one you may not find info on is the School Direct route, as it is very new. This is basically more 'on the job' training than the PGCE, you spend more time in school and less time in university. Each school's program is different however, so you will need to contact them individually to find out about their program.
    In regards to your degree, contact some providers to find out if your degree is relevent enough to teach with.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.