Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

just a bit confused about controls - will give rep if anyone manages to help me

so lets say we had a drug and wanted to see how effective it was in this case I understand that the control would be in the form of a placebo. but lets say we had a plant and were investigating how changing the temperature effects photosynthesis if we wanted to do a control would that be doing the experiement but not changing then temperature and then seeing if there was any change in the rate of photosynthesis or would the control be something else

ReputationRep:
    Yep you're correct.

If I were doing a study into how extra training affected newly qualified drivers in their first three months, I would want a control group of newly qualified drivers who did not undergo extra training - test both groups at the end of three months and voila.

Or perhaps a study into how appetite was affected by adding soy sauce to meals, I'd want a control group who ate the same stuff but got no soy sauce with it... yum, soy sauce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qaisha)
    Yep you're correct.

If I were doing a study into how extra training affected newly qualified drivers in their first three months, I would want a control group of newly qualified drivers who did not undergo extra training - test both groups at the end of three months and voila.

Or perhaps a study into how appetite was affected by adding soy sauce to meals, I'd want a control group who ate the same stuff but got no soy sauce with it... yum, soy sauce.

haa thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.