Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying maths, further maths, physics and german for AS levels. I plan to apply for Computer Science at university, hopefully Oxford, and I was wondering if I should drop German next year? Would Oxford, and other universities prefer me to have four A levels, or three AS levels with possibly better grades? Should I focus on trying t get more A*s, and drop German, or should I keep it and end up getting something like A*AAA?
    So basically I'm asking what looks better, A*A*A or A*AAA?
    I'd appreciate any advice, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Universities typically ask for 3 A levels and 1 As level, so, it is expected for you to drop 1 A level.

ReputationRep:
    I studied Maths, Further Maths Chemistry and Physics at AS and im still doing all 4.

If ur managing with the work load then i would carry on with all four, especially as the overlap between fmaths and maths is quite large so the work load isnt too bad because you should find the maths modules quite easy when uve got the further maths... especially if u want to apply to oxford keep all 4!!

But ultumately... see what ur results are in the summer!! Im sure you will do brilliant but dont make decisions until uve got all the information. If you want to apply to Oxford u will need four As this year. i dont know anyone who has got an oxbridge interview without 4As, let alone an offer

Dont worry about next year, revise hard and get ur As... Thats the best thing u can do right now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 A'levels. If you can keep up the work load then it should be fine. But I'll tell you something. A2 work load is tremendous and with uni applications/personal statement you may be 'forced to' neglect your work for a while and you'll start lagging behind.

You may be at an advantage if you keep pursuing German, because apparently uni's like students who've done linguistics compared to the usual traditional (not sure how much truth there is in there, however).

Anyway other thing you may want to consider is, there are loads of extra curricular you may want to take part in. With the 4 A'levels (and you're desired target) you may not find time for it. At the end of the day its your decision to make.

Have a look at the A2 syllabus for German (and the rest) that should give you a fair idea if you'll be able to continue.

PS: Further maths is no joke and exhausts a lot of one's time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    PS: Further maths is no joke and exhausts a lot of one's time.
    Agreed.... The majority of the homework i got was further maths, and im not even exageratting when i say i probably spent at least 6 or 7 hours a week doing further maths homework... If not more!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some unis don't see maths and further maths as 2 separate subjects. You might be limiting your choices as therefore you'd be viewed as only having 2 A Levels.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    Majority of people drop a subject so you have 3 A levels and 1 AS, which is the one you dropped.

ReputationRep:
    I WISH that getting A*AAA would be my worst scenario... :rolleyes:
    OP, how are you so sure that you won't get anything less than an A???

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Delighted to hear you're interested in doing Computer Science at Oxford.

First off, you've got a great set of A Level subjects there. Our standard conditional offer for straight CompSci is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. We only offer on three A Levels: we'd notice if you'd done more, but it wouldn't (except in exceptional circumstances) form part of a conditional offer. AAAA wouldn't be seen as equivalent to A*AA: it's important that you get the A*. In terms of subject choice, Maths is essential, and Further Maths strongly recommended as the best preparation for one of our degrees. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. We aren't looking for students who have any specific knowledge of computing, but we are looking for students with an interest in the subject. We are very much looking for people who have really developed their mathematical thinking. If you wanted to drop German after A2 that wouldn't be a problem for us.

There are a small handful of courses at certain unis that don't see Maths and Further Maths as separate A Levels, but for Computer Science, Further Maths is extremely desirable. We, like other top unis, for CompSci very much encourage you to take it and count it as two A Levels. It's perfectly possible to get to interview stage, and then get an offer with "only" three A Levels, as long as they are relevant. Having a had a quick scan through the A Level choices of our current CompSci first years, and I can see students who've done 3 A Levels and others with 5+. I think it's fair to say the largest proportion have 4 A2s; but it's definitely not a requirement.

If of course you're enjoying German, and it's not adversely affecting the more relevant courses that you're doing, then great, go for it.

We talk more about what we look for in our candidates here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ug...sked_questions

Hope that helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.