Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet _One86)
    Do a levels get looked at as mature students
    It depends how long ago you did them. Unis want to see evidence of recent successful study. If you've done A Levels in the past couple of years, then they may be accepted. More often, a uni will want a mature student who's been out of education for a while, to do an Access to Higher Education course instead. That has a more uni-like studying/teaching style and gives a better indicator of uni potential for mature students.

& how do they finance the price of courses - do we have any of the fees wavered!?
    Which particular fees?

If you do A Levels at a college, they're free if you're under 24 and don't already have a Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification. If you're 24 or over then each college can set its own fees but you can get the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan to help pay the fees. If you then go on to uni, that loan is wiped out when you graduate and you don't have to repay anything. You can use the 24+ loan to pay Access course fees in the same way.

No fees will be waived just because someone is a mature student.

(Original post by Klix88)
    It depends how long ago you did them. Unis want to see evidence of recent successful study. If you've done A Levels in the past couple of years, then they may be accepted. More often, a uni will want a mature student who's been out of education for a while, to do an Access to Higher Education course instead. That has a more uni-like studying/teaching style and gives a better indicator of uni potential for mature students.

Which particular fees?

If you do A Levels at a college, they're free if you're under 24 and don't already have a Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification. If you're 24 or over then each college can set its own fees but you can get the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan to help pay the fees. If you then go on to uni, that loan is wiped out when you graduate and you don't have to repay anything. You can use the 24+ loan to pay Access course fees in the same way.

No fees will be waived just because someone is a mature student.
    Good to know all the above -29! Over the age it would seem - 24+ plus loan it is then. I'll be looking at uni online shortly. Did uni for the first time back in 2005! Paid my student loan off and walked from it then. Not sure whether I just do college courses and see. Thanks for your input. V useful info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet _One86)
    Good to know all the above -29! Over the age it would seem - 24+ plus loan it is then. I'll be looking at uni online shortly. Did uni for the first time back in 2005! Paid my student loan off and walked from it then. Not sure whether I just do college courses and see. Thanks for your input. V useful info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you've already been to uni, that will decrease the amount of Student Finance you're entitled to this time round, although that won't apply to formal teaching qualifications. You may need to look into that before making further plans - make sure that you're working towards the 'right' sort of uni degree. The fact that you've paid off your first student loan doesn't have any bearing on your remaining entitlement.

(Original post by Klix88)
    If you've already been to uni, that will decrease the amount of Student Finance you're entitled to this time round, although that won't apply to formal teaching qualifications. You may need to look into that before making further plans - make sure that you're working towards the 'right' sort of uni degree. The fact that you've paid off your first student loan doesn't have any bearing on your remaining entitlement.
    Good to know thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any of the mature students on here going to Keele this year? I'm possibly looking for a housemate off campus because I'd like to bring my dog... I'm going to do the General Foundation Year with GeoSciences
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireFad)
    Any of the mature students on here going to Keele this year? I'm possibly looking for a housemate off campus because I'd like to bring my dog... I'm going to do the General Foundation Year with GeoSciences
    Hi,

This might help https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaSKeele/?fref=ts it's our Mature Students at Keele Facebook Group maybe put a message on there?

Jodie
    Student Services

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.