Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

as a former student i know money can be tight. I now work in a gym and i need a way to get young people/students in so 18-25 year olds.

Can anyone tell me what they look for in a gym in terms of, money, deals, classes?

If you were going to spend money on a gym membership, what would you look for?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hot, sweaty girls in lycra shorts. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Cheap membership (nothing more than £20 a month), no contract and decent equipment.

ReputationRep:
    Clean changing facilities!
    cheap membership
    late hours at night

ReputationRep:
    Student 'deals' like either no contract or term time only contract. Freebies and extras. Late night/ weekend student only classes and events. Make us feel like we are special!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PossiblyEmma)
    Hi guys,

as a former student i know money can be tight. I now work in a gym and i need a way to get young people/students in so 18-25 year olds.

Can anyone tell me what they look for in a gym in terms of, money, deals, classes?

If you were going to spend money on a gym membership, what would you look for?

Thanks
    Decent price, and enough goddam weight equipment (yes even if that means toning back the absurd number of running machines!). Sick of having to queue for the one squat rack and fight over the 3 remaining functional barbells when there are 5 bits of equipment that need them +deadlifting/rowing/whatever.

ReputationRep:
    The gym i work at is very clean, has steam, sauna, endless swimming pool and sunbed. Alot of cardio machines, and alot of weights although as a girl i don't really use them. It does get busy at night though with young lads wanting to lift.

As my gym is in a town it's only open untill 10pm.

At the moment they are doing £45 a month for students £55 normally. Now i think this is expensive and obviously young people don't want to pay this.

It also has a lot of classes and you get trainer meetings, goal settings and a programme written for you.

Young people just aren't joining enough though.

Would you pay this amount?

ReputationRep:
    I only pay £16.99 a month, 24hr gym, excellent equipment all round and I have no interest in the pool/sauna/steam room. £45 is insane.

ReputationRep:
    Pay per visit would be great! People don't want to sign up to contracts, so if you could pay say £2 or something for a session, I feel more people would be attracted to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    Cheap membership (nothing more than £20 a month), no contract and decent equipment.
    If only we lived in such an ideal world :P

All of the above would be great.

ReputationRep:
    No contracts, wide range of equipment, cheap. I pay £16.99 a month too and it's a 24 hour one so really easily accessible. Also having personal trainers on both floors during the day time, so they're really easy to talk to for guidance and don't hesitate to let you know where you're going wrong. They also have free classes e.g. 'Legs, bums and thighs' during certain times which is really good.

Necessary things like clean shower/toilet facilities and big lockers too.

ReputationRep:
    For the general masses you need classes or trainers for FREE to show people how to exercise and lift. Free nutrition plans too.

Equipment is the next big one but then this is where you'll get a split. Gyms with good weight lifting equipment aren't great on cardio machines, and vice-versa. You can't please everyone unless you have lots of floor space and money. But most student gyms have mediocre weight lifting equipment and that's what a lot of guys want to do. Girls are happy to run on a hamster machine.

ReputationRep:
    Im so lucky, the one round us lowered their prices because of late opening after the new year- only £12.99 a month
    includes classes and what not
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Pay per visit would be great! People don't want to sign up to contracts, so if you could pay say £2 or something for a session, I feel more people would be attracted to it.
    One of the gyms near me does this. Much easier than paying per month. I sometimes found I couldn't go; so was wasting my money there and had to cancel my membership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PossiblyEmma)
    The gym i work at is very clean, has steam, sauna, endless swimming pool and sunbed. Alot of cardio machines, and alot of weights although as a girl i don't really use them. It does get busy at night though with young lads wanting to lift.

As my gym is in a town it's only open untill 10pm.

At the moment they are doing £45 a month for students £55 normally. Now i think this is expensive and obviously young people don't want to pay this.

It also has a lot of classes and you get trainer meetings, goal settings and a programme written for you.

Young people just aren't joining enough though.

Would you pay this amount?
    Not in a million years.

I paid £16 a month at my uni gym. And £20 a month now even as a non-student.

I'm guessing you charge so much because it includes the steam, sauna, endless swimming pool, sunbed, classes, trainer meetings etc. Most people don't want all that ****. Why would I pay £45 for all that when all I want is to use the weights and I can do that for £15-20 at the gym down the road?

ReputationRep:
    Gym in US :- Big Space...lots of equipments....opens 24/7 most of the gyms....and membership is cheap as ****!!!

NOW, lets looks at gym in Uk :- Small to medium space....only few equipments / have to wait for using some equipment -__-.....opens only in day time....and membership....haha pretty expensive!!!

This is from my experience...i've been to a lot of different gym in UK....Gyms in US are just amazing!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Look for a small independadnt gym, not a chain.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that people aren't bothered about the sauna, programmes etc but because all those extras are linked, e.g the steam and sauna are in the same place as the changing rooms, it would be difficult to stop people using those things even if they aren't paying for it, ya know? so i'm not sure how to get around that tbh.

maybe have a certain time they can come in? like the 60+ memberships state they can't come in after 4pm, so they pay less.

when do you guys most use the gym? evening? morning?

ReputationRep:
    You are basically describing the difference between a gym and a health club.

IMO, gyms tend to be cheap(er), consist of free weights, resistance machines and cardio

Health clubs include extra facilities such as swimming pool, sauna, etc. (some even include racquet sports facilities) . These tend to be chains like David Lloyd, Fitness First, LA Fitness, etc.

Most students will be a member of their uni gym which is likely to be a lot cheaper than aforementioned health clubs.

With the introduction of 24hr gyms such as PureGym, students and 'young people' have a bargaining chip to stray away from the more expensive health clubs.

IMO, set up a student peak (off-peak if you can negotiate it) membership which is clearly cheaper, has NO contract and comes with freebies.

it's a tricky one because the market is saturated with choice for the consumer.

ReputationRep:
    Vicinity to my house :L
    (less cardio,need to conserve my GAINZ)

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.