Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently picking my A-level subjects and I want to study Aeronautical engineering at a top uni. I was wondering what A-level subjects would be best and at the moment I'm thinking;
    Maths (Definitely)
    Physics (Definitely)
    History (An essay subject to show how broad my skill set is)
    Chemistry (?)

Are these A-levels fine, or should I drop Chemistry for further maths? How much do universities value further maths? Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Drop History for Further Maths. Engineering courses don't care how broad your skillset is, they want you to excel in a specific set of subjects - I believe Further Maths is mandatory for some Engineering courses.

ReputationRep:
    I do those exact A-levels and currently hold 5 offers for engineering so in short they are fine. Further maths is useful though (its recapped in the first year of engineering) and for a handful of courses preferred/required (Oxbridge/Imperial). If you don't want to go to those two just do maths, physics and the subject you like the most/will do best in (FM would be the best choice, but history or chemistry is fine)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for both replies! I'll think about dropping History for FM

ReputationRep:
    I do mechanical engineering, but you'll find that most courses in a forum will do the same modules. I share classes with those doing aerospace technology, automotive engineering and motorsport engineering. Hence, these skills will generally be quite broad to start with.

First and foremost... Getting as much maths as possible would be an awesome starting point.

Add physics as many universities will ask for it, and all will appreciate that you have it. Many of the first year things I did were along the lines of A-level mechanics learnt in physics.

Electronics would be advisable too - One of my modules is electrical science and this directly leads into control systems for year 2 mechanical engineering. Other "mechanical" related disciplines will do very similar modules.

Product Design Technology has actually worked wonders. I have a class called "design" and it is essentially what we did in design tech. The hands on experience of working with tools and machinery (as well as CAD/CAM) has been very useful.

It would also be sensible to check with the universities to see what they like. In my experience though (I did A-levels in the above, except for an AS in maths with mechanics), these subjects have proven to be applicable. I use most of those skills on a weekly basis and many on a daily basis. The maths stuff will be the most crucial though, but the other subjects will really help to seal together the theory to the practical side.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.