Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Father or Mother: Who has influenced you more? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which of your parents has influenced you more as you've grown up?

Mines my father. He can expect to much sometimes and is always on my case. He can be vet stressy and demanding while my mums very laid back. I think this has made me expect far much more of myself that I might have done otherwise which can be a mixed blessing.

Do you think it's more often ones father since the men are traditionally the head of the household? Or does it matter more whose the more forceful personality?

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Well my dad was abusive and neglectful, so probably him. Though for the most part I was raised solely by my mum, so I guess she had more chance to influence me so I'm not sure. Negative effects are more noticeable though so I'll say dad influenced me more.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum. She may have passed away when I was younger, but her passion for politics has been passed on!
    My Dad and I are worlds apart.

ReputationRep:
    Initially my mother but I'd say since growing older probably my father.

ReputationRep:
    Depends in what way, really.

My sense of humour and interest in the arts was influenced by my Dad, whereas my mother fostered my interest in literature and photography.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely my father. Throughout my whole life he has reinforced the importance of 'striving to be the best you can be', and working hard to get where you want in life. And it hasn't done me any harm. Although there are some aspects of my father's personality which I do not follow, certainly in social aspects. My mother has indirectly taught me to be tolerant of others more than my father.

ReputationRep:
    My mother probably more so than father though my personality is more like my dad's.

Out of all though, I'd pick my brother.

ReputationRep:
    My mother. I've dedicated my life to not end up like her.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely my mother. Like everyone she has her flaws but there are many aspects of her personality that I admire and emulate.

My father's not a bad guy but he's a poor parent and if I'd spent the last 12 years living with him rather than my mother I'd be nowhere near as successful and happy as I am today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Which of your parents has influenced you more as you've grown up?

Mines my father. He can expect to much sometimes and is always on my case. He can be vet stressy and demanding while my mums very laid back. I think this has made me expect far much more of myself that I might have done otherwise which can be a mixed blessing.

Do you think it's more often ones father since the men are traditionally the head of the household? Or does it matter more whose the more forceful personality?

What do you guys think?
    I don't really get on with my dad that much. Our personalities clash a lot.
    I've got his hot temper.
    He's that dominating that he makes Putin look like a fluffy kitten

My mum's pretty laid back too.

It would be my dad. He's influenced me the most. Espetially when it came to education. He's always been on my case to study and what not. The only reason I probably even got good grades was because of him

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't show much emotion like my father and I take my interests from my mother. I'd say mostly my mother but my dad had some input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimprovising)
    My mother. I've dedicated my life to not end up like her.

..I lost track of time staring at your avatar. Lol.. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Out of my mum and dad it would have to be my dad, for his failings as a father. Eventually i got bored of being mad or angry with him, so i use it as a influence now.

ReputationRep:
    My father, but my influenced I mean in the best possible way, and inspired. He's just had the most incresible past and has so much knowledge to share. We have the exact same opinion on most things and when we dont we can have a good debate on it which I love. I swear he keepa me sane sometimes, makes me feel like I can do anything in the world I set my mind to, motivates me. All while balancing 5 kids, one severely disabled (I have four half siblings)
    I love my mother but she's not one for good conversation

ReputationRep:
    hmm dad is much calmer and encouraging, although I have alot of traits my mum has aha! I'm pretty close to both, so I can speak to both when need be.

ReputationRep:
    My mum, I've not seen my dad in ten years since he was abusive towards the two of us and my mum got rid. I've definitely learned to be a strong person and push as far as I can to get a good education and my mum was the one person who was there all the way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My mother has influenced me most of all, as my father and my mother gone separate ways when I was a young child. She was almost the only parent who reared me.

ReputationRep:
    My mom.
    My father was abusive back in the day when he was around, and then my parents got divorced so for a long time it was just me and my mom before she got re-married.
    Although we don't always get along nowadays, she's one of the most courageous, strong and caring people I know. Despite everything that's happened to her in the past, she picked herself up and worked from the bottom to get where we are now.
    She taught me to be responsible for myself, and to deal with whatever life throws at you, she empowered me to believe that I had the means to solve whatever problems I would face and that this would allow me to move forward in life.
    Although, she may not think it due to our excessive arguments...:rolleyes: I admire and love my mom to pieces.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are polar opposites so they both influenced me equally in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    Probably my Mum, although I think my Dad has influenced me more than I think he has. In many respects I'm a lot like him but I am closer to and spend more time with my Mum, so I can't help but think she must have influenced me more.

(Original post by CJKay)
    My parents are polar opposites so they both influenced me equally in different ways.
    This is pretty much true for me too.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.