Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Father or Mother: Who has influenced you more? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zara.)
    [SIZE=2]My mom.
    My father was abusive back in the day when he was around, and then my parents got divorced so for a long time it was just me and my mom before she got re-married. (...)
    Sounds that we had the same situation in a certain degree. I guess it is usual that married couple are terminated anytime. It is more likely than ever before that children are rear by a parent. If stats are to be believed, one marriage in five is divorced by now.

ReputationRep:
    Both. Don't want to end up like either of them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that divorce is so common, although in some cases it's the only thing thats left to do, I feel some people see divorce as an 'easy' answer.
    And even though it's true that nowadays divorce is easy (in most non-complicated situations) to do, the emotional difficulty, turmoil of feelings and detrimental effects on the children involved, is something that should be considered. This makes the divorce anything but easy.
    Ah well... lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Sounds that we had the same situation in a certain degree. I guess it is usual that married couple are terminated anytime. It is more likely than ever before that children are rear by a parent. If stats is to be believed, one marriage in five is divorced by now.
    Sorry, my last post was supposed to be a reply to you. :P

ReputationRep:
    My mum

My dad's not always been at home, goes to work late etc, and my mum's listened to me more. Funny thing is, as a kid, I would have said the opposite, because my dad used to let me get away with stuff, whilst I got away with stuff with my mum.

Kinda glad in a way, because my dad can get pretty angry, can be pretty short minded sometimes, and not very supportive.

My mum's a lot more supportive, and a lot calmer And I can generally talk a lot more to my mum, than my dad. If I have a problem, I go my mum

However, my dad has influenced me a lot, in me not wanting to be the same kinda man. That sounds harsh I guess, but then my mum used to hit me as a kid. I couldn't do that!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    My mother; my father is quite a different person to me now.

From my mum I've inherited a calm, relaxed approach to life, and her compassion and intelligence.

From my dad I inherited my interest in chess, and perhaps that's all. His whole life is informed by religion (he's a creationist), and having left religion behind, I've gone on to change my values accordingly. We have a different opinion on almost every topic now I suppose, but I get on well with him still.

Considering it, I think I'm quite different from all my family really.

(Original post by Jacob :))
    Which of your parents has influenced you more as you've grown up?
    My father as he raised me (although it could be debated that my nanny raised me), I am quite a bit like my father in many ways although I tend to be more open to violence than he is as I would go into fight first then debate later for example, I am very forceful when it comes to getting my way while he is more tactical about it.

While we love the same things, outdoor sports, hunting, drinking, partying etc I am more extreme but yes he has influenced me heavily while my mother has not or at least I don't think so. I would say he is a hard worker and I am not so yeah there are many differences but the main things, we are incredibly similar so yes father

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Do you think it's more often ones father since the men are traditionally the head of the household? Or does it matter more whose the more forceful personality?

What do you guys think?
    Nah don't think it's because of that, my mum could burn my artwork as she pleases - oh wait she did! (she is always going to be the head of the household!!!!)

Most definitely my father, he is there for me and always got involved with my life.
    I think it is just because we relate more and both are rather mild, but emotional, people.

My mum just always complains at me and tells me I am weird and not her child.

ReputationRep:
    My mother was a single parent. I would say her if it wasn't for my father's spontaneous violent appearances throughout my childhood. Seeing the stuff which I saw, well, that has altered some of my perception and behaviour. Luckily I last saw him in 2001, so the craziness stopped after many years. He had a mental illness, undisclosed, but I have some of his thinking patterns and behaviours. Really I think my mum influenced me most, but I definitely picked up on some of his behaviour too.

ReputationRep:
    I would say my mum. She is the boss of the house lol very strict on education and I probably wouldn't have went to uni if it wasn't for her. She is also easier for me to talk to.

I do get my hobbies from my dad though - ps3 games, rugby, f1

ReputationRep:
    I could never imagine my dad influencing me at all. Don't get me wrong I love him as an average child would love their parents, but to me I think it's weird seeing my fellow students with both their parents on parents evening, my dad takes an interest in my education but he has novel if on my grades really he just knows I'm doing above the average. It's my mum who encourages me to do better but at the same time it's my mum who has encouraged me to be an individual and in doing so we clash slot on what separate beliefs and morals we both have.

I will say I have my dads stubbornness and my mums temper though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My Dad, for sure.

Pretty much been both parents for as long as I can remember.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have both influenced me a great deal, but I think my dad has influenced me more, because I aspire to be like him. His work ethic is second to none, and his natural enthusiasm is outstanding, he never sits down, and does everything for his family. He is the benchmark toward which I aspire. I hope I'm like him when I have a family of my own.

That's not to say that I don't admire my mum, I always have, but maybe I identify more with my dad, being a man and all.

ReputationRep:
    My dad died when i was only seven, but i would still say he influenced me the most. My mother thinks i am almost a carbon copy of him, both in personality and looks.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.