Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently a first year and due to matters out of my control it seems very unlikely at this point that I will be moving into a house with my friends at the beginning of next year.

I was just wondering what the general consensus was about either a 2nd year in halls, or whether it would be a better idea to try and find a spare room on the internet in a house share?

Does anyone have any experience of either going back into halls or finding a houseshare on the internet, or any advice about what I should do now?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timbaliam)
    Hi,

I am currently a first year and due to matters out of my control it seems very unlikely at this point that I will be moving into a house with my friends at the beginning of next year.

I was just wondering what the general consensus was about either a 2nd year in halls, or whether it would be a better idea to try and find a spare room on the internet in a house share?

Does anyone have any experience of either going back into halls or finding a houseshare on the internet, or any advice about what I should do now?

Thanks in advance
    Hey, try asking around your course to see if anyone has a spare room. Otherwise advertise yourself here:http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/Accommodation

I'd advise against going back into the more 'party' university owned halls for your second year mainly because freshers will become extremely annoying when you need to study. If you are looking at private halls then just start ringing up some some of the companies you see around the campus and arrange a viewing. I was looking at private halls last year and there are a few pictures in the link in my signature. Definitely have a look around the halls before booking anything because pictures on the websites can be very misleading.

ReputationRep:
    Going into a shared house with randomers would be something of a gamble - if you don't like them, then there's no escape. Could you ask your friends to keep an ear out for friends with spare rooms? At least that way you'll know that they are normal, reasonable and rational people. I moved into a shared house with a friend of my own and some friends of his, and it has worked out surprisingly well.

Other than that, private halls are one option, as ellakrystina says. However, I would avoid Opal halls as they have just gone into administration, but are still trying to flog rooms for next year - personally, I just wouldn't take the risk.

You could move into uni halls - I know one person, who is most definitely not the party sort, who has been living in city campus halls for 2 years and will stay for her third.

ReputationRep:
    We found someone from manchester student homes for our spare room this year and it's turned out pretty well for us anyway, although I would say it's advised you maybe spend some time with the people first to make sure you get on with them and like the house you are going to move into, I think it's probably the option I will be taking in fourth year when all my friends have graduated if I can't find anywhere else. Private halls is also a good shout, I know someone on my course who is living in student castle this year and they find it fine although it's apparently quite lonely, as only three people live in his flat. I think this can be avoided in a house especially if it's larger, we try to include ours in anyway.

Going back to halls is an option but I would say choose wisely, obviously OP Tower probably isn't the best place. There were a few second and third years in my halls this year, some of them got too involved with the freshers and ended up sacrificing their degree because of it, where as others coped fine. It depends how easily influenced you are, I know for me at least, the temptation to go out would be far too high!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation and decided to go for private halls in Fallowfield. I'm staying in Ladybarn and have been to view it and its so nice! I considered doing the house/flat share but the thought of living with strangers in a house felt much more scary than living with strangers in halls! Plus there's the whole issue with privacy and parties etc, cant get away from that stuff in a house but in halls youve got your own personal space Also because im going to be in fallowfield, i wont be far from my friends that have houses in fallowfield next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.