Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I just want to check so basically if an organisation e.g. occupational health wanted a medical report for a particular patient and the patient said that they didn't want information about his/her alcohol problem to go on the medical report is it something that i would have to disclose despite what the patient said about not wanting the information on there? Is having an alcohol problem something that occupational health need to know, as a GP do I have to disclose the information by law?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyangel2008)
    I just want to check so basically if an organisation e.g. occupational health wanted a medical report for a particular patient and the patient said that they didn't want information about his/her alcohol problem to go on the medical report is it something that i would have to disclose despite what the patient said about not wanting the information on there? Is having an alcohol problem something that occupational health need to know, as a GP do I have to disclose the information by law?
    What do you think?

Spoiler:
    Show

You could clarify whether it's a 'report' - i.e. private service that you could decline to do/refer back to OccHealth to commission elsewhere or whether it's confirmation/rubberstamping a questionaire that a patient has completed - although that could also be a private service that you could decline to do.

You would not (unless you're a complete fool) complete a report omitting information/approving a patient self-reporting something if you believed it to be relevant or untrue.

Some reports can be prefixed by a disclaimer that information has been omitted because the patient has not given consent for their full medical history to be shared - then occupational health/management can choose to proceed as they wish...

You could read up on the GMC guidance on Confidentialty & Duties of a Doctor etc.

You could speak to your peers in the practise +/- your defence organization for advice.

Whether you 'have' to disclose in the absence of patient consent, as ever depends upon risk of harm to patient/others. So in this scenario may depend on the impact of the alcohol problem, level of patient insight and the nature of the job etc.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.