Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is too much tea bad for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been drinking lots of tea everyday as it helps with carb cravings, but mainly because I love tea, but is too much bad for you? My favourites are earl grey and green tea. I don't use sugar or anything. Just tea on its own. I do have good quality tea. Non of that cheap crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hope not. But watch the stains on your teeth and buy a good toothbrush

ReputationRep:
    Anything in large amounts is bad for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    I hope not. But watch the stains on your teeth and buy a good toothbrush
    Thanks I watch my teeth. My whites are very white ATM

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nyeah, I don't care either way. Typical British tea addict.

ReputationRep:
    How do you drink/prepare your tea?

I really wang to get used to drinking tea but I just cant stand it.. I mean I want to so that at night I dont eat a bar of chocolate but tea instead .. so pls share how you prepare lets say green tea? Whenever I do it .. the taste is just horrible .. and bitter :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani45)

I really wang to get used to drinking tea but I just cant stand it.. I mean I want to so that at night I dont eat a bar of chocolate but tea instead .. so pls share how you prepare lets say green tea? Whenever I do it .. the taste is just horrible .. and bitter :/

Green Tea isn't so bad. I read on a blog recently where someone recommended putting milk in as you would with black tea. Apparently it makes it taste alot better, but look extremely revolting.

As for forcing yourself to like tea just for the sake of it. That's pretty weird, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Caffeine is very slightly carcinogenic but only very, very slightly. At least I hope it's is...

Nothing to worry about. :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd have to drink a lot of tea for it to be "bad" for you, so unless you're constantly drinking it I really wouldn't worry too much.

(Original post by Ani45)

Some of the flavoured Green Tea is great, I love the Twining Pineapple and Grapefruit flavour. It takes away the usual taste of Green Tea which i liken to chewing tobacco.

When i make it i usually just leave the bag in a cup of hot water for 2 minutes and then take it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani45)

I'm not too sure, but cheap green tea is gonna taste cheap and nasty. When it comes to tea and coffee I like to spend quite a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not bad or good as far as body composition is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Green Tea isn't so bad. I read on a blog recently where someone recommended putting milk in as you would with black tea. Apparently it makes it taste alot better, but look extremely revolting.

As for forcing yourself to like tea just for the sake of it. That's pretty weird, my friend.
    No, I am def not forcing myself - If I dont like it, I dont drink it. But I was just wondering how some people completely love it and I cant stand it ..

As for the milk - nono, I dont like that either. I guess I will pass the tea

Thanks for the ideas tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani45)

Sounds like you're overbrewing it.

ReputationRep:
    Also OP, why the **** are you avoiding carbs?

ReputationRep:
    It stains your teeth hell of a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I hope it's not
    Well, I think both green and normal tea are acquired tastes. I mean, only up until I was 14/15, I couldn't stand normal tea. My sister's 18 and she still can't. They say the best thing's just plain water, and I always find that cuts cravings. But, as with all (most) things; everything in moderation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it, then she was drinking 100 tea bags a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani45)

Hi,

you probably pour the tea with hot water too soon after it's boiled. Green tea should be poured when it dropped its temperature to 70-80°C (you don't have to buy special thermometers, just leave it for like 3 mins and then pour it) . And after another 2-3 mins remove the tea bag/tea leaves from your cup. Also, buy some quality loose tea, not the mixture of who-know-whats they tend to sell in bags (branded tea in bags would be ok imo). The bitter taste occurs because the tea leaves are boilt (destroyed basically) and it starts to release tannin (as I've heard). This is for green tea, when you prepare black tea you can pour it straight after it was boilt. But, personally I don't like black tea, it's basically green tea that is removed from all the beneficial stuff.
    Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    I've been drinking lots of tea everyday as it helps with carb cravings, but mainly because I love tea, but is too much bad for you? My favourites are earl grey and green tea. I don't use sugar or anything. Just tea on its own. I do have good quality tea. Non of that cheap crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if that's PG Tips then I drink alot of 'cheap crap'! aha. No seriously, I love PG Tips tea. It's some sort of stress relief for me, I usually drink 2 a day though but sometimes I drink more than that. I tried to substitute the tea I drink for Green Tea instead, because that is very good for your health. My dad has managed to substitute it, I just find it bitter and less-enjoyable to drink. Do you actually like the taste of Green tea? I've tried to!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.