Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could Wales survive if it went independent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm interested in seeing what TSR thinks about this, as I'm clueless.

I asked a twitter user promoting welsh independe if Wales could survive independently as we're subsidised by the UK and he rellied with "The uk has to borrow around £150 billion a year to get by. We aren't subsidised. We effectively borrow but cant spend it how we need to" and linked me to this:

http://cambriapolitico.com/the-big-i...ence-question/

It's quite interesting, give it a read.

So now I'm wanting to hear TSR's opinions to help me make up my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Wales could afford it: many similar sized countries exist and do as well as if not better than the UK financially. Many areas of major spending such as defense and high-speed rail are unnecessary, so the Welsh contribution would be removed. It would come down more to whether culturally the Welsh would rather be independent as well as issues such as EU membership and monetary policy more than public finance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.