Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just accepted my place to study English Literature at Glasgow Uni & when I was looking at accommodation my friends & I found Victoria Halls. I have looked at the place and I think it looks really nice, but some of my friends believe that it's too far away from Glasgow Uni & are really skeptical about it.

Does anybody know if it's a good place to stay at for going to Glasgow Uni? I know that it's about a 45 min walk/ 20 min cycle but it doesn't seem that bad.

If anybody can help with this I'd be so grateful thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi ohmygosh_emma!

When I applied for Glasgow uni halls 4 years ago (feeling old), they were oversubscribed and as a result rented a block from Victoria Halls, and put me there. The accommodation is pretty nice - en-suite and all! It's secure and the staff are friendly enough. I had a great time there, and made some good friends.

As far as the travel goes, it can be a pain. To get to the main campus I usually took the subway from Buchanan Street (about 10 mins walk from VH) to Hillhead, right beside main campus. It's a bit of an added expense but definitely the quickest way. If you've got a bike and don't mind the cycle it's not bad either. Walking would get a bit tedious I reckon.

Something to consider is that you'll be with a mix of people from other unis. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you might feel like you're missing out bonding with other GU students in GU halls. I suppose that depends how sociable you are on campus! An advantage is that you're in town where most of the clubs are, and friends can stay over after a night out.

Any other questions, ask away! Hope that helped.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.