Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking for things to do in summer and looking for recommendations for travelling Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm looking for something to do in June and July.

Would you guys recommend me to travel? or is there any travel + volunteer work around Europe?

Besides that, do you have any recommendations for first-time-europe-family travelling?

Thanks lot for your information and sharing.

ReputationRep:
    you could try WOOFING - working on organic farms, where the owners will provide free accommodation and food in exchange for your labour.

As for specific places to visit in Europe, what are you interested in? What do you want out of a city? Rich culture and history? Exciting nightlife? Delicious food? Warm weather?

if your answer is "all of the above" then I have to recommend to you Barcelona, the most beautiful city in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    www.workaway.info has loads of opportunities to stay with hosts abroad and work for them in exchange for meals and accommodation. There's all sorts of work available and loads of different countries you can go to!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BRFCMATT)
    www.workaway.info has loads of opportunities to stay with hosts abroad and work for them in exchange for meals and accommodation. There's all sorts of work available and loads of different countries you can go to!

are these safe? just checked it out and it seems to offer an incredible range of things to do in a LOT of places! only concern is safety :/ 20 year old female wanting to possibly do one of these schemes in s.e asia. have you done one of these personally? and is there any way of finding out which hosts are more appropriate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpxvs)
    are these safe? just checked it out and it seems to offer an incredible range of things to do in a LOT of places! only concern is safety :/ 20 year old female wanting to possibly do one of these schemes in s.e asia. have you done one of these personally? and is there any way of finding out which hosts are more appropriate?
    I haven't done one personally, but I was considering doing it in the summer with my sister so we spent a lot of time looking through the different hosts (mainly in France and Italy) and the reviews were generally very good for most of them. However there were some that would not be appropriate for certain people e.g. a girl on her own staying with a single man would probably not be suitable, and some that I would not consider due to poor reviews. Obviously south east Asia is very different to Europe and I personally wouldn't feel very safe staying there on my own with people I didn't know (as its so far from home), so I wouldn't want to do this kind of scheme there. I know people who have been travelling in south east Asia as part of a group on a gap year scheme and they really enjoyed it, this may be a better option if safety is a concern. If you sign up on the workaway website (which costs money so no point unless you really want to do it) you can contact hosts via email and get to know them before deciding to stay with them. I would say the best thing to do would be to read through host reviews an information on the website and possibly sign up and contact some hosts that seem suitable if you are interested in doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by journeymanjim)
    you could try WOOFING - working on organic farms, where the owners will provide free accommodation and food in exchange for your labour.

As for specific places to visit in Europe, what are you interested in? What do you want out of a city? Rich culture and history? Exciting nightlife? Delicious food? Warm weather?

if your answer is "all of the above" then I have to recommend to you Barcelona, the most beautiful city in Europe.
    Hi journeymanjim,
    I will like to visit somewhere with rich culture and delicious food so I was thinking of going to explore Barcelona alone but was troubled with the fact that i could only communicate in English and Mandarin. Thanks for the info =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BRFCMATT)

Hi BRFCMATT,

That was really a cool idea. Do you think that website could work? Do you have any more other similar websites to recommend?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpxvs)
    Hi tpxvs,

I am from S.E. Asia (Malaysia) and i will say that it depends on which country you are going to.
    I will advise you to have at least a companion or known someone there if you are considering SE Asia.
    Hope that helps

(Original post by shengxian)
    Hi,

I'm looking for something to do in June and July.

Would you guys recommend me to travel? or is there any travel + volunteer work around Europe?

Besides that, do you have any recommendations for first-time-europe-family travelling?

Thanks lot for your information and sharing.
    Depending on what you want to do there are the beaches of France and Spain, the Alps of Germany, France, Austria and Switzerland, the Culture of Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Paris etc... seriously so much to do in Europe, just depends on your interests.

I personally adore Moscow and St. Petersburg, especially the culture of St. Petersburg and the Bolshoi in Moscow :adore:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.