Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend says he'll never love me. Watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    Anon or delete please - my boyfriend and friends are on here.

    My boyfriend and I have been together for a solid 9 months now. It's been an incredible relationship, we never fight or get on each other's nerves and it feels like we've been in the honeymoon period of our relationship the whole time.

    Yesterday, out of the blue, he suggested breaking up for my own good, so I can move on quicker and find someone better. He says - and I quote - he likes me 99%, but the remaining 1% makes him not sure about continuing the relationship. (This sounds pretty ridiculous to me...)

    As you can imagine, I'm pretty upset about this - more so the fact that he wants to break up, rather than the fact that he 'won't ever' love me (although that depresses me a bit as well). I've told him that there's no knowing what will happen to his feelings about me but he's pretty adamant on this. I don't know what else to say to him.

    We're on a break right now but I'm pretty set on this guy and definitely want to keep him for now. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated :\
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    He has lost interest, your only option is to move on.
    Offline

    13
    He's cheating and is making this bull**** excuse.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    He's cheating and is making this bull**** excuse.
    Naturally, obviously people only break up when someone's cheated :rolleyes:
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Ask him what the actual problem is and see if you can work on it. Make sure you get a definite answer from him. Remember you are not powerless, and once you find out what's wrong you can work on it. Though it does seem like quite a random thing for your bf to say, unless he's quite frankly bored with you- in which case i'd recommend some bold and romantic gesture, and lots of sex. You are not powerless to change things Take the lead, be exciting and storm ahead.
    • TSR Support Team
    Offline

    19
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please - my boyfriend and friends are on here.

    My boyfriend and I have been together for a solid 9 months now. It's been an incredible relationship, we never fight or get on each other's nerves and it feels like we've been in the honeymoon period of our relationship the whole time.

    Yesterday, out of the blue, he suggested breaking up for my own good, so I can move on quicker and find someone better. He says - and I quote - he likes me 99%, but the remaining 1% makes him not sure about continuing the relationship. (This sounds pretty ridiculous to me...)

    As you can imagine, I'm pretty upset about this - more so the fact that he wants to break up, rather than the fact that he 'won't ever' love me (although that depresses me a bit as well). I've told him that there's no knowing what will happen to his feelings about me but he's pretty adamant on this. I don't know what else to say to him.

    We're on a break right now but I'm pretty set on this guy and definitely want to keep him for now. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated :\
    Sounds like he is making excuses, I would just cut him out as hard as it is, breaks never really work. If he truely still loved you he would have stayed with you, he can't just decide go on a break if it suits him, either he wants to be with you or not.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I would dump him personally, its normal to have doubts from time to time but if in that 1% you guys need to go on a break and he has told you to dump him and that he'll never love you then I think its more than 1%. You deserve someone who loves you.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    ermm...he doesn't love you...why are you still with him? Dump him and move on! Simples!


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    13
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Naturally, obviously people only break up when someone's cheated :rolleyes:
    It's a pretty common reason why people break up. I wouldn't be surprised.
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    He's cheating and is making this bull**** excuse.
    Naturally, obviously people only break up when someone's cheated :rolleyes:
    He's definitely not cheated! We spend so much time together it's physically impossible for him to cheat, haha. I trust him completely on this front as well.

    ermm...he doesn't love you...why are you still with him? Dump him and move on! Simples!
    I acknowledge that some people take more time to fall in love with someone. Something I forgot to mention in my first post: he said he'll never love ANYONE, not just me. I'm willing to hold out for now, I guess...
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Dump him and find someone who thinks youre fricking awesome!
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    He's using the common approach of getting you to break up with him so he doesn't have to do it and hurt you. Clearly he isn't sure about the relationship, this isn't going to improve. If I were you I'd just end it now.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please - my boyfriend and friends are on here.

    My boyfriend and I have been together for a solid 9 months now. It's been an incredible relationship, we never fight or get on each other's nerves and it feels like we've been in the honeymoon period of our relationship the whole time.

    Yesterday, out of the blue, he suggested breaking up for my own good, so I can move on quicker and find someone better. He says - and I quote - he likes me 99%, but the remaining 1% makes him not sure about continuing the relationship. (This sounds pretty ridiculous to me...)

    As you can imagine, I'm pretty upset about this - more so the fact that he wants to break up, rather than the fact that he 'won't ever' love me (although that depresses me a bit as well). I've told him that there's no knowing what will happen to his feelings about me but he's pretty adamant on this. I don't know what else to say to him.

    We're on a break right now but I'm pretty set on this guy and definitely want to keep him for now. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated :\

    You're set on him, but he isn't set on you. Therefore, he isn't worth your time.
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    Whether he's cheating or not, you can't force someone to love you. There's no point trying and I guarantee you will end up getting more hurt the longer you hold onto him. You have to let go.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Dump his ass. He's obviously not worth your time.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Basically, he doesn't want you. Im sorry but I feel the need to point this out for you. He's just too much of a coward to say so for himself, but be in absolutely no doubt, this is what spineless men do when they don't want it.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Probably best just to dump him, as it's very poor that he would want to break up over 1% like that (though honestly it sounds like something he's cooked up so as not to divulge the real reason he wants to break up). There's no such thing as perfection, after all.

    If you dump him, make it seem as though it's on your own terms, rather than his. i.e. "I deserve better than this." It might actually be the kick he needs to realise that he does want to be with you after all.
    Offline

    15
    He's probably a psychopath.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Inc femminist brigade- telling you to dump him and not try to improve ur reltionship or even find out what's going wrong. You need to find out what he "really" thinks is wrong and not just the 1% bull**** . Then you can take it from there. Until then you don't really know the full story and can't really make an informed decision. Until you thrash it out, you don't really know what's going on, cos all these people telling you to dump him aren't really thinking.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please - my boyfriend and friends are on here.

    My boyfriend and I have been together for a solid 9 months now. It's been an incredible relationship, we never fight or get on each other's nerves and it feels like we've been in the honeymoon period of our relationship the whole time.

    Yesterday, out of the blue, he suggested breaking up for my own good, so I can move on quicker and find someone better. He says - and I quote - he likes me 99%, but the remaining 1% makes him not sure about continuing the relationship. (This sounds pretty ridiculous to me...)

    As you can imagine, I'm pretty upset about this - more so the fact that he wants to break up, rather than the fact that he 'won't ever' love me (although that depresses me a bit as well). I've told him that there's no knowing what will happen to his feelings about me but he's pretty adamant on this. I don't know what else to say to him.

    We're on a break right now but I'm pretty set on this guy and definitely want to keep him for now. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated :\
    I'm sorry, this is a tough situation. You can get him back however, by doing what he says. Let him seeyou getting with another guy, preferably a hotter one, and don't call or text him. He'll want you back, badly!!
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.