Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to find books to read, ones to go on my personal statement. Should I just get some from the universities' (the ones I hope to apply to) reading lists? Or does this just make it look like I have to originality? Or will they have no idea what's on the reading list and not really care at all and will find this thread in years to come and tell me to go home and that I worry too much?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodDay)
    I'm trying to find books to read, ones to go on my personal statement, I saved mine for interviews. Should I just get some from the universities' (the ones I hope to apply to) reading lists? Or does this just make it look like I have to originality? Or will they have no idea what's on the reading list and not really care at all and will find this thread in years to come and tell me to go home and that I worry too much?
    Thanks
    I didn't bother writing anything about any books I'd read - people only really use that to 'pad out' their PS. You should probably read a journal rather than a book as, depending on what degree you're applying to, they will usually contain up to date changes, and really good, recent, articles. Giving you things to talk about in your interviews - which could impress the admissions teams more that you're up to date.

Some universities have 'recommended reading' on the course pages for people wanting to go in to that particular field (I'm going for Law and a recommended reading was 'Crime and Punishment').

What subject are you applying to at University?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)

What subject are you applying to at University?
    Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I didn't bother writing anything about any books I'd read - people only really use that to 'pad out' their PS.
    What? I thought academic reading should make up about 60% of your PS...

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this a bit late to be writing your personal statement? Or are you AS-Level?

Anyway, when including books its not usually the book itself but what about it you enjoyed about it, what inspired you to read it, what good points did it raise, how did it relate to your course or interests Things like that, ask a personal statement helper if you are not to sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodDay)
    Maths
    Mention both further reading (textbooks) and books which discuss mathematics in general. The former shows that you enjoy doing maths and working at it, and the latter demonstrates that you are interested in understanding your subject on a deeper level than merely practising it. Anything from this list should be interesting and worth a mention:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...eadinglist.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Couple of bits of advice :

1. Only mention books you have actually read in depth and can say something sensible about.

2. Dont tell the admissions tutor what he/she already knows about the book. They want to know your reaction to the ideas in it, not what the author is saying about Maths.

3. Start by reading A Very Short Introduction to Maths : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-.../dp/0192853619
    This might seem like starting with real 'baby' stuff, but these books are short, cheap and contain very condensed introductions to subjects for 1st Year Uni students. They usually have very good, clear precis of concepts and ideas, and good suggestions for further reading. Scroll down the page for other VSI editions on 'Numbers', 'Probability', 'Statistics', 'History of Maths' and a whole range of other similar level books that will introduce you to 'How/Why you study Maths at University'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.