Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Why are some drivers soft? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went for a drive in my car an hour ago its a new one so Im being careful and trying it out. I went to a retail park, turned left and sped up quickly as I could because i didnt want to hold the driver up behind me. I came to a junction but it was dark and Id forgotton if it was a mini roundabout or just a normal junction so I i slowed down, indicated left, stopped for a split second looked right and then turned left. This driver behind me beeped his horn after Id turned and he went straight on, he wasnt even that close behind me.

I dont get whats the point in beeping horns what was I supposed to do when he beeped it? Ive never used my horn all the time ive been driving as I just see it as a sign that a driver has got all emotional and is a soft s*** lol. Ive had cars pull out in front of me but theres no point in using my horn as its already happened so what is pressing it going to achieve..

But yea I dont feel like i did anything wrong with this driver I thought the safest thing to do was to check before turning left.

ReputationRep:
    Some drivers use the horn as a "wake the heck up" button. Others appear to use it as a "YOU NOOOB GTFO" button.

Of course the correct use for the horn is when you suspect someone is about to pull out on you and has not seen you, or a pedestrian is about to step in front of you while looking the other way, or of course on narrow windy country lanes or narrow humpback bridges to alert other traffic.

However, just like the internet, most people do not understand what its proper use is.

Welcome to the road.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever used my horn seriously (not prattling about outside mates houses) just the once.

Guy in front just sat texting at the traffic lights as they were on green.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qaisha)
    Some drivers use the horn as a "wake the heck up" button. Others appear to use it as a "YOU NOOOB GTFO" button.

Of course the correct use for the horn is when you suspect someone is about to pull out on you and has not seen you, or a pedestrian is about to step in front of you while looking the other way, or of course on narrow windy country lanes or narrow humpback bridges to alert other traffic.

However, just like the internet, most people do not understand what its proper use is.

Welcome to the road.
    I know that its used to express angry but I dont get why, Id feel embarrased at pressing it just to show that i was angry it would simply show that im upset at something lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    I know that its used to express angry but I dont get why, Id feel embarrased at pressing it just to show that i was angry it would simply show that im upset at something lol
    There are a lot of really angry, uptight people out there.

Give it a few years... you'll learn to recognise road rage, heck you might even experience it yourself. Also you get the breed of person who, once they are in the car, HAVE TO GET THERE NOWWW. That's probably the kind of person who you encountered this evening.

It's good that you're more chilled out, just keep a mature stance on the road and don't let others get to you. Leave them to their little worlds of frustration and unhappiness.

ReputationRep:
    How is it embarrassing? :confused:

Sometimes for example when an idiot pulls out in front of you they may not have even realised, so it's good way to inform others of their ****ty driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler Varona)
    How is it embarrassing? :confused:

Sometimes for example when an idiot pulls out in front of you they may not have even realised, so it's good way to inform others of their ****ty driving.
    So you intend to inform others of their ****ty driving to try and prevent them making the same mistake again? Yea that might work!

But if I beep at someone just because Im annoyed Id simply be showing them how easily upset I get.

ReputationRep:
    And whats wrong with showing people how angry you are, or how 'easily upset you get'?

ReputationRep:
    I've been beeped a few times. Usually I just ignore it. I'm in the car to get to my destination, not to see how quickly I can get there. I don't understand why people need to beep either. If you're in traffic or at a roundabout you can't force yourself out into on coming cars, so beeping them isn't going to help.

When I first got beeped I worried about it for a few days cause I thought I had annoyed someone. Now I don't really care if I get beeped, i'll just relax and take a bit more time. If you're in a rush, beep me and you'll be waiting longer :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    And whats wrong with showing people how angry you are, or how 'easily upset you get'?
    Not really wrong its just a bit soft, or at least I see it as being soft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    beep me and you'll be waiting longer :cute:
    10 seconds for every beep they do?!

ReputationRep:
    and sped up quickly as I could because i didnt want to hold the driver up behind me.
    There's your big mistake.
    You do what you need to do IN YOUR OWN TIME.

**** whoever is behind you. They can wait or they can overtake.

Doing things quicker than you want to is the quickest way to have an accident. You (I assume) paid to be on the road so you've as much right to be there as the person behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Because stuff like this can ensue.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like this happens, respond by doing any rude gesture or by slowing down to the legal speed limit

ReputationRep:
    But if I beep at someone just because Im annoyed Id simply be showing them how easily upset I get.
    Well someone putting my life in danger is up there on the list of things that get me annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    I used my horn to annoy a driver once.

I was driving along a road (quite a windy road) which is normaly dual carriageway however there was roadworks so it was one narrow lane and the sped limit was 50, i was doing 60 and the car behind me was right up my arse and flashing his lights. My brother who was in the front seat turned round and hand a good look and he can't have been more than 30CM from my bumper.
    When we get past the roadworks this car goes to over take so i drop to third and tank it and eventually he has to pull in so i slow back down to 45 and repat one more time, then let him overtake. I then speed up and have my horn on for a full minute and a half until he pulled in and let me drive off into the distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Well someone putting my life in danger is up there on the list of things that get me annoyed.
    me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    I used my horn to annoy a driver once.

I was driving along a road (quite a windy road) which is normaly dual carriageway however there was roadworks so it was one narrow lane and the sped limit was 50, i was doing 60 and the car behind me was right up my arse and flashing his lights. My brother who was in the front seat turned round and hand a good look and he can't have been more than 30CM from my bumper.
    When we get past the roadworks this car goes to over take so i drop to third and tank it and eventually he has to pull in so i slow back down to 45 and repat one more time, then let him overtake. I then speed up and have my horn on for a full minute and a half until he pulled in and let me drive off into the distance.
    I hope that taught him a lesson!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    Stuff like this happens, respond by doing any rude gesture or by slowing down to the legal speed limit
    Or if you have a passenger, ask them to hold their phone up at the back window, so it looks like they are videoing them aha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I hope that taught him a lesson!
    yeah hope so hahaha

I'm a considerate driver but i like to give more than i get when theres a **** on the road

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.