Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I add my name to a car insurance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently passed my driving test and I intend to use my parent's car. How do I add my name to their car insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly congratz for passing. Now since it's your parents car, you would need their permission to use it. Also since the insurance policy would be in one of their names, that parent would need to call up their car insurance company and request you to be added as a named driver if they find the price acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its a simple as ringing them up and asking you to be added. They will give you a price, and you can decide.

Of course you will need the permission of the policy holder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    I've recently passed my driving test and I intend to use my parent's car. How do I add my name to their car insurance?
    Your parents would have to phone up their insurance company to add you as a named driver. The insurance company will then give them the price that they will have to pay, they pay it and then its sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

But is ringing the insurance company the only way? Can you also do it online? My parents don't speak English that well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    Thanks.

But is ringing the insurance company the only way?
    Usually yes, it's the way most insurers do things. If the insurers does have a facility for making changes online then your parents will have probably been given details when the started their policy. Have a look through the paperwork.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.