The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hmmm, I really couldn't say very accurately. Have you rowed before?

It varies between clubs - some charge a termly/yearly subscription, some have sponsorship and so get subsidised kit, in some the crew pay for their races, in others it comes out of subs or general funds.

Basically, if you pay your race fees yourself, expect to pay £20-50 a term (roughly!) unless you're novicing, in which case it'll be about £10 for Clare Novices, Fairbairns and maybe Emma Sprints. Boat club dinners are between £20-30 (but aren't compulsory). As for kit, you'll need at least a tech top and an all in one, both of which are £30-40. Splashtops are around £50, none of the official kit is cheap.

I'm sorry I can't be much more specific, it does vary as colleges have such different systems, some have sponsors etc.
Reply 2
i've been rowing for 4 years or so. i just spotted you're at clare - being more specific, how much do you reckon rowing costs at clare? i will be joining you next year. :smile:

cheers for the speedy reply btw!
Reply 3
qwill
i've been rowing for 4 years or so. i just spotted you're at clare - being more specific, how much do you reckon rowing costs at clare? i will be joining you next year. :smile:

cheers for the speedy reply btw!

It's not too bad. We don't pay subscriptions, we just pay our race fees at the end of each term. I'm not sure how many races the first men do, but I'd guess between £20-40 a term on that. If you go to off-Cam regattas/head races that tends to cost more as you have to pay for petrol (generally a few people have cars that we go in). Kit costs are as I said above. Boat Club Dinner is £25-30ish (last term college paid for the wine as a reward for winning the Headship, so it was cheaper!)

It's not too pricey, really :smile:
Reply 4
thank you!
Reply 5
lucky clare, getting an experienced schoolboy rower for next year! Fingers crossed for a few at emma!
Reply 6
Willa
lucky clare, getting an experienced schoolboy rower for next year! Fingers crossed for a few at emma!

Lucky us getting them rather than being pinched by one of the usual suspects...with any luck next year's M1 might be quite decent.
Reply 7
Forget the meagre financial outlay, the REAL cost of rowing is becoming a pathetic, gimpish, boring ****eater from hell.
Reply 8
Niccolo
Forget the meagre financial outlay, the REAL cost of rowing is becoming a pathetic, gimpish, boring ****eater from hell.

But it's worth it.
Reply 9
Is it really? I won't be sorry to finish this term.
The biggest cost of rowing is time.
Reply 11
glenthemole
The biggest cost of rowing is time.

Well said! :congrats:
Theatre takes even more time. Fact.

I've done a few weeks when I've spent at least 3 times as long at the ADC as I have doing History...
Reply 13
Mmm, I was wondering whether 'cost of rowing' was going to include the increase to your food bill :p:
Reply 14
I don't eat much more than I would otherwise, apart from occasionally buying cake for after races. Unless you're on an über-hardcore first boat training regime, you don't NEED to munch vast quantities of pasta and malt loaf.
Jaffa cakes, on the other hand... :p:
Reply 16
Helenia
I don't eat much more than I would otherwise, apart from occasionally buying cake for after races. Unless you're on an über-hardcore first boat training regime, you don't NEED to munch vast quantities of pasta and malt loaf.

I could never tell whether my ex ate vast quantities because he needed to or just because it meant he could!

And amen to jaffa cakes :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending