Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, there is literally nothing that I want more than to get into LSE (especially as they seem to be the only uni to offer the course I want to do - Econometrics and Mathematical Economics - at undergrad level). I'm currently in Year 12, taking A-level Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business Studies. I'm aiming to achieve grades meeting or exceeding the entry requirements, but that clearly doesn't mean I'd be in any way likely to receive an offer. However, it seems to me that once you've met the entry requirements, LSE don't care much about how good your grades were; is this the case? How can I evaluate my chances? What is it that LSE care most about, once you've met the entry requirements? How can I maximise my chances? Should I create an economics related website to write about on my PS? Would an EPQ help me much?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure Bristol does Econometrics too....and LSE is a pretty big on grades, exceeding the entry requirements is just enough to get your foot through the door in not getting your application auto-dinged, the differentiation starts on whos the best of the best grades-wise, and who wants it the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyCash)
    Im pretty sure Bristol does Econometrics too....and LSE is a pretty big on grades, exceeding the entry requirements is just enough to get your foot through the door in not getting your application auto-dinged, the differentiation starts on whos the best of the best grades-wise, and who wants it the most.
    There are other universities out there that offer Econometrics (though I'm a little too close to Bristol to consider it), but not Econometrics and Mathematical Economics... I really enjoy maths, so I want to keep it as mathematical as possible, without doing a joint degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRChapman)
    Basically, there is literally nothing that I want more than to get into LSE (especially as they seem to be the only uni to offer the course I want to do - Econometrics and Mathematical Economics - at undergrad level). I'm currently in Year 12, taking A-level Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business Studies. I'm aiming to achieve grades meeting or exceeding the entry requirements, but that clearly doesn't mean I'd be in any way likely to receive an offer. However, it seems to me that once you've met the entry requirements, LSE don't care much about how good your grades were; is this the case? How can I evaluate my chances? What is it that LSE care most about, once you've met the entry requirements? How can I maximise my chances? Should I create an economics related website to write about on my PS? Would an EPQ help me much?

Thanks
    Buisness studies won't be doing you any favours here

ReputationRep:
    LSE has a mega-hate for Business Studies - drop it at A2, you have too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    LSE has a mega-hate for Business Studies - drop it at A2, you have too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've actually already spoken to an LSE rep about business studies, as I was concerned it may be an issue (especially as I'm taking economics too). He said there was absolutely no problem with my A level choices (as did Oxbridge).
    Even so, I'd still consider whatever advice you had to give, provided it seemed reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    I've actually already spoken to an LSE rep about business studies, as I was concerned it may be an issue (especially as I'm taking economics too). He said there was absolutely no problem with my A level choices (as did Oxbridge).
    Even so, I'd still consider whatever advice you had to give, provided it seemed reasonable?
    Its acceptable doesn't mean its ideal, I would agree with the other dude that its probably the best one to drop for A2 by a mile, but I dont think your application will be negatively impacted by having it. Its simply considered the least rigorous out of all the A levels you're doing and less rigorous than if you had taken a science for example, but if you enjoy it keep at it, you cant forge your whole AS and A2 years simply on university applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyCash)
    X
    X
    (Original post by Dursty)
    X
    (Original post by will2348)
    X
    Just to clear things up as an LSE Econ student.

1). Business Studies is a non-preferred subject however in this case it is combined with three ideal/preferred subjects. A combination of Maths, Further Maths, Econ and Business all at A2 is fine as OP suggested.

2). People are suggesting he drops Business. That is a bad move. why? because LSE specifically says for Economics. A combination of 3 A-Levels with Maths, FMaths and another subject (i.e. Econ) is not acceptable and does not provide enough breadth (this is for BSc Economics/E&ME)

OP, Econ and E&ME are in the same department (Economics) and can have the same first two years depending on module choices. E&ME as is a highly selective and small course, personally I'd recommend applying for just Econ and switching at the end of Y1 or Y2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User3)
    Just to clear things up as an LSE Econ student.

1). Business Studies is a non-preferred subject however in this case it is combined with three ideal/preferred subjects. A combination of Maths, Further Maths, Econ and Business all at A2 is fine as OP suggested.

2). People are suggesting he drops Business. That is a bad move. why? because LSE specifically says for Economics. A combination of 3 A-Levels with Maths, FMaths and another subject (i.e. Econ) is not acceptable and does not provide enough breadth (this is for BSc Economics/E&ME)

OP, Econ and E&ME are in the same department (Economics) and can have the same first two years depending on module choices. E&ME as is a highly selective and small course, personally I'd recommend applying for just Econ and switching at the end of Y1 or Y2.
    Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it! However, I always assumed that E&ME would be considerably less competitive than straight economics. Are you completely sure that I'd stand a better chance of getting onto straight economics; this comes as a surprise to me? Cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.