Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do Banjos, Guitars, and Mandolins cost? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am going to learn those instruments, but how much will my mum and dad have to fork out for one of these instruments?

I don't want a second hand one, as image is important.

My mate's banjo cost over £1000, hopefully acoustic guitars are not as expensive?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    An acoustic guitar can be as little as £60 if you look in the right (wrong?) places. You're much better off spending at least £100, ideally £200, on something which sounds good and won't go out of tune every second. Mandolins can be obtained for under £100. I got mine second hand for £40, though it was £80 originally.
    Banjos I don't know so much about, but I think my friend got his for around £200.

ReputationRep:
    An original Les Paul can cost up to £500,000 I hear. But that is electric and awesome!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    An original Les Paul can cost up to £500,000 I hear. But that is electric and awesome!
    Maybe so, but you can still get a Gibson Les Paul for about 1/1000th of that! (well, a bit more for the cheapest Studio model)

ReputationRep:
    Have a look around Freecycle and local antiques places, not forgetting charity shops. You can often pick up banjos and guitars incredibly cheap - especially if you're not looking to spend loads of money, and with a bit of love, you can clean them up and have them sounding great again

ReputationRep:
    Relative to other instruments, guitars are very cheap. My first one this was a 3/4 size 16 years ago cost £50, my current one cost a bit under £200.

ReputationRep:
    My first guitar was an eBay package deal. Brand new guitar but came with everything needed to get going, pick, capo, strings etc. and that was £80 i think. Check the must - Lindo - they're perfect for beginners in my opinion. That was 5 years ago. I bought a new Yamaha ACR in November for £750. You can get all three instruments dirt cheap but fact is the same for everything, you pay for what you get. I pay £700 for my guitars now as I need top sound quality when I do paid gigs and studio recordings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bought a decent banjo on Ebay a few years back for around £120, brand new.

ReputationRep:
    Got my guitar in Lidl, no-one believes it cost only £70 as it sounds actually half-decent and is way better than some £200 guitars I've played. If image is that important, a cheap new guitar is gonna look and sound way worse than a second-hand decent one while being the same price. Expect to pay like £100 to be sure of getting a guitar that won't fall to bits and has frets that don't demand retuning every time you use a capo.
    Fraid I can't help with banjos and mandolins, I do have a banjolin but I don't have a clue how much it cost.

ReputationRep:
    You can spend as much as you want on a guitar, really. You can get very cheap sub £100 ones, going right on up to £2k and beyond once you get to seriously high end stuff.

For a beginners guitar, if you can afford it, you can't do much better than the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. I was seriously impressed with the one I played!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.