Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need to get away(North England getaway ideas) watch

ReputationRep:
    So in the space of two months I've split up with my girlfriend(of two years) and I've lost my job. Needless to say I'm feeling very down and depressed, and right now I just feel I need to get away. From my family, my friends, my ex - everything. I need to be on my own for at least a few days.

But I don't know where to go. I need to do this ASAP so hotels in places will be expensive on such short notice. I don't want to go to a big city anyway. I want something with peace and tranquility. Ideally I'd be in a cottage on the Lake District writing crime novels...but maybe that only happens in movies.

I live in Yorkshire, so anywhere close to here is ideal. Maybe the Dales or the Peak District. Nothing that's too hard to find(not some little cabin I have to hike through the woods to get to). I have a 16-25 railcard and around £200 in the bank and I should be getting some more soon(from my last paycheck), but I want to be as cheap as possible - I am unemployed after all!.

I just need to get away for a while, at least a few days, before I have to deal with reality again. I need to step back and relax but I don't know what to do. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you've had a rubbish time of it at late. Check out lastminute.com for good deals. My only word of caution would be that you have very little money. If you take this trip what will you live on whilst you look for work? How will you pay rent or bills? I completely understand your need to get away but without three months income in savings (the recommended amount of "cushion") I'd be cautious.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on expedia ! Im in a similar situation but thinking either New york or Hong kong for a week just to unwind.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest Bakewell.

It's a lovely little town in the Derbyshire Dales and is part of the Peak District. There are plenty of quaint little B&B's. Don't know about pricing, but I can't imagine it would be too expensive.

It's close to some great surrounding areas that would be good to visit as well, such as Matlock Bath, Hardwich Hall and Chatsworth Park.

Castleton is also a very nice place to visit in Derbyshire and you can visit the caves whilst there.

Really though, definitely consider Bakewell! You won't find a prettier, more relaxing village to spend a few days in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    I would suggest Bakewell.

It's a lovely little town in the Derbyshire Dales and is part of the Peak District. There are plenty of quaint little B&B's. Don't know about pricing, but I can't imagine it would be too expensive.

It's close to some great surrounding areas that would be good to visit as well, such as Matlock Bath, Hardwich Hall and Chatsworth Park.

Castleton is also a very nice place to visit in Derbyshire and you can visit the caves whilst there.

Really though, definitely consider Bakewell! You won't find a prettier, more relaxing village to spend a few days in
    Just taken a look into this, Bakewell does sound lovely, and by the looks of things you could go away for a short break/week for less than £200!

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/england/E3290.htm

Might even stay there myself. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonista)
    I'm sorry you've had a rubbish time of it at late. Check out lastminute.com for good deals. My only word of caution would be that you have very little money. If you take this trip what will you live on whilst you look for work? How will you pay rent or bills? I completely understand your need to get away but without three months income in savings (the recommended amount of "cushion") I'd be cautious.
    Well I didn't have the job for long so I'm still living at home(I'm only 19), so I don't necessarily have to pay fully for rent or bills. And I think I need to get away to even begin to think of looking for work again. I just need to relax before I can get into all of that again. It took me a long time to find a job and it took a lot out of me when I lost it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Have a look on expedia ! Im in a similar situation but thinking either New york or Hong kong for a week just to unwind.
    Take me with you!

ReputationRep:
    Bumpity bump

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of small, pretty, tranquil, historical places in the north east, like Alnwick, Berwick-upon-Tweed and (if it isn't too big for you) Durham. Or you could visit Saltburn if you want somewhere small, pretty and tranquil that is close to the sea.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.