The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm an international applicant who is keen on studying Economics at university. I recently got my AS results for Chemistry (91 UMS) and Economics (92 UMS). I also got my math module results (C1-95, C2-100, C3-84, C4-81, S1-87, M1-95, D1-87), which means that I failed to make an A* in math.

I'm planning on resitting my C3 and C4 modules in the hopes that I'll get to push them to an A*, but would my current 'A' grade jeopardise my chances with LSE/UCL/Warwick, which demand an A* in math?

Also, Oxford E&M has long been a dream of mine, but given my sub-par grades, is it still worth giving it a shot?

Thanks for in advance for all your advice! :smile:
Original post by wzchong
Hi, I'm an international applicant who is keen on studying Economics at university. I recently got my AS results for Chemistry (91 UMS) and Economics (92 UMS). I also got my math module results (C1-95, C2-100, C3-84, C4-81, S1-87, M1-95, D1-87), which means that I failed to make an A* in math.

I'm planning on resitting my C3 and C4 modules in the hopes that I'll get to push them to an A*, but would my current 'A' grade jeopardise my chances with LSE/UCL/Warwick, which demand an A* in math?

Also, Oxford E&M has long been a dream of mine, but given my sub-par grades, is it still worth giving it a shot?

Thanks for in advance for all your advice! :smile:

Your grades aren't really subpar for E&M, unless you mean GCSEs?
Original post by tooambitious
Your grades aren't really subpar for E&M, unless you mean GCSEs?

My SPM (Malaysian equivalent of GCSEs) are pretty decent, I got 10A+ and 1A-. The thing is, I didn't make an A* for math, and I got an 87 for my S1. I've been told that Oxbridge applicants require 92/93+ UMS across the board, and that's not me. :frown:
Original post by wzchong
My SPM (Malaysian equivalent of GCSEs) are pretty decent, I got 10A+ and 1A-. The thing is, I didn't make an A* for math, and I got an 87 for my S1. I've been told that Oxbridge applicants require 92/93+ UMS across the board, and that's not me. :frown:

Oxford don't see UMS
Ok, so I have decent GCSE results;
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Triple Science - A*A*A*
French - A
Geography - A
R.E - A
ICT - Me
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Considering the secondary school I went to these were very good

and for my AS levels I got (UMS marks):
Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)
Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!
General Studies - A (166/200)

My initial A-level predictions were: AABA in the same order as above... but I believe that with my results I could get them improved to: A*A*AA

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford. Failing that something science based.

I am considering continuing all four A-levels or dropping Chemistry to pick up AS Further Maths or just doing 3 A-levels and dropping Chemistry

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol or any other good uni.

Any advice or similar experience would be welcome!
Reply 3405
Original post by raymondrayz
Ok, so I have decent GCSE results;
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Triple Science - A*A*A*
French - A
Geography - A
R.E - A
ICT - Me
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Considering the secondary school I went to these were very good

and for my AS levels I got (UMS marks):
Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)
Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!
General Studies - A (166/200)

My initial A-level predictions were: AABA in the same order as above... but I believe that with my results I could get them improved to: A*A*AA

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford. Failing that something science based.

I am considering continuing all four A-levels or dropping Chemistry to pick up AS Further Maths or just doing 3 A-levels and dropping Chemistry

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol or any other good uni.

Any advice or similar experience would be welcome!

You have good results at GCSE and A level and you definitely stand a chance of gaining a place at a good Russell group uni such as Bristol, Warwick or Durham. LSE, Oxford or Cambridge are all a long shot even for someone with good results but worth a shot. A strong TSA score would be needed for Oxford so I'd get practising now if you're going to apply. So I'd say Oxbridge or LSE is a possibility, Bristol Warwick or maybe UCL is realistic and maybe Birmingham or York or an AAA-AAB uni could he an insurance.

I'm starting economics and management at Oxford this year and know how unpredictable and random the selection process can feel which is why I would always view it as an uncertainty.but you will definitely end up at a good uni good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice? Any advice on how to pick an oxford college? And what unis did you apply to?
Reply 3407
Original post by raymondrayz
Thanks for the advice? Any advice on how to pick an oxford college? And what unis did you apply to?

Picking an Oxford college is not an important decision really. I picked trinity because I read it has the best food and it's also in a central location, so you can base it on anything really, there's a pros and cons section on studentroom for colleges. I also applied to Durham, Warwick, Bristol (which was for Econ and econometrics so AAA offer) and Nottingham, but I'd wished I'd applied to LSE or UCL if I hadn't gotten into Oxford as they're both great for economics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LFR
Picking an Oxford college is not an important decision really. I picked trinity because I read it has the best food and it's also in a central location, so you can base it on anything really, there's a pros and cons section on studentroom for colleges. I also applied to Durham, Warwick, Bristol (which was for Econ and econometrics so AAA offer) and Nottingham, but I'd wished I'd applied to LSE or UCL if I hadn't gotten into Oxford as they're both great for economics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Majority who apply to Oxbridge usually apply to LSE and/or UCL too.
Reply 3409
Hi All, I'm going to apply to the following courses:
1. Oxford - E&M
2. Warwick - Economics and Industrial Organization
3. Durham - Economics with Management
4. St Andrews - E&M
5. a safe choice

Could you guys please help me rank these universities in terms of the quality of Economics courses they offer? Also, I'd love to here your experiences, if you happen to study one of these, or Economics at these unis.

podzso
Hi im hoping for A*A*A* , i got AAAA and im applying Nottingham, Bristol and Birmingham so far not sure where else is good ? UCL looks good but im not sure about the social life whereas Leeds has great social but not sure about the quality of the course?
Original post by patrickcromb96
Hi im hoping for A*A*A* , i got AAAA and im applying Nottingham, Bristol and Birmingham so far not sure where else is good ? UCL looks good but im not sure about the social life whereas Leeds has great social but not sure about the quality of the course?

The right university has the potential to impact or determine the course of your life ... not just the 3 years in university.
Reply 3412
Original post by podzso
Hi All, I'm going to apply to the following courses:
1. Oxford - E&M
2. Warwick - Economics and Industrial Organization
3. Durham - Economics with Management
4. St Andrews - E&M
5. a safe choice

Could you guys please help me rank these universities in terms of the quality of Economics courses they offer? Also, I'd love to here your experiences, if you happen to study one of these, or Economics at these unis.

podzso

Probably in the order you put them. Oxford will offer a fantastic quality course, Warwick tends to be very mathematical which is seen as beneficial by employers such as financial institutions. Durham is seen as less mathematically rigorous but of course it is still a great course. Not sure about St. Andrews. But picking any of them as your first choice would offer a great quality of teaching so don't worry, be happy to get an offer off any! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NedStark
If you think you're a 3 A* candidate then you should be applying higher than that. Try not to think about social life, a lot of people worry about it but no matter where you go you'll find like-minded people and have a good time.

Try applying for Oxf/Camb, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol/Nottingham/Bath. For Econ I'd steer clear of Leeds, Birmingham is good but not good enough if you're capable of those grades. If you want to play it safe then drop Oxbridge and go for Bristol and Nottingham.

Thanks for reply. I got 98% average UMS for AS so i think i can get the A stars but Warwick looks ****e in terms of location ( middle of nowhere ) , i dont do further maths so not cambridge, LSE looks very boring and bath aint russel group (lots of people said thats bad for jobs) . I really want to get into Bristol as its a great reputation but awesome night life aswell!
Original post by GandalfWhite
The right university has the potential to impact or determine the course of your life ... not just the 3 years in university.

interesting point! can you elaborate?
Original post by NedStark
If you think you're a 3 A* candidate then you should be applying higher than that. Try not to think about social life, a lot of people worry about it but no matter where you go you'll find like-minded people and have a good time.

Try applying for Oxf/Camb, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol/Nottingham/Bath. For Econ I'd steer clear of Leeds, Birmingham is good but not good enough if you're capable of those grades. If you want to play it safe then drop Oxbridge and go for Bristol and Nottingham.

Also what do you mean by "not good enough"? for an A* candidate?
in what aspects? surely the job prospects will be similar afterwards as long as i go to a russle group??
Reply 3416
Also what do you mean by "not good enough"? for an A* candidate?
in what aspects? surely the job prospects will be similar afterwards as long as i go to a russle group??

Some of the top employers favour or directly recruit from the top unis e.g. LSE UCL and Oxbridge especially. Simply put, better unis have better job prospects. Therefore the ones nedstark mentioned are ones you want to be aiming for. Nevertheless you can still get a good job if you go to Birmingham, but why not go to the best uni you can go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
interesting point! can you elaborate?

Well a graduate from Oxbridge or Harvard would have opportunities not available to one from a relatively unknown university and will continue to receive deserved or undeserved recognition years after graduation. For those who can take advantage of such reputational effects they can benefit from it. Now that is not to say a graduate from other universities are not good or will not be as or even more successful. Just that they get some advantage without doing more. Economics degree from Oxbridge and LSE as well as UCL/Warwick helps to open doors.
Original post by GandalfWhite
Well a graduate from Oxbridge or Harvard would have opportunities not available to one from a relatively unknown university and will continue to receive deserved or undeserved recognition years after graduation. For those who can take advantage of such reputational effects they can benefit from it. Now that is not to say a graduate from other universities are not good or will not be as or even more successful. Just that they get some advantage without doing more. Economics degree from Oxbridge and LSE as well as UCL/Warwick helps to open doors.

fair enough ! previously i assumed since Leeds and Birmingham were russel group unis and are two of the most 'targeted' by employers the advantage from going to the unis you mentioned would only be negligible? but i wasnt aware that they open that many more doors.
Reply 3419
Original post by LFR
Probably in the order you put them. Oxford will offer a fantastic quality course, Warwick tends to be very mathematical which is seen as beneficial by employers such as financial institutions. Durham is seen as less mathematically rigorous but of course it is still a great course. Not sure about St. Andrews. But picking any of them as your first choice would offer a great quality of teaching so don't worry, be happy to get an offer off any! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending