Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayooshc)
    oxford don't look at UMS, but LSE and Cambridge base a lot on UMS.

A*s at GCSE aren't usually a deciding factor, but they do add to your application. Oxford look at GCSEs but in relation to your school/situation, and rely a lot on the TSA as well.
    ah ok i see

yeah i was wondering about that , is it particularly difficult the TSA ?

ReputationRep:
    some people say it's easy, but it really isn't. you can prepare for it, as in managing your time and getting used to the style of questions. but you can't really revise for it. they have past papers online. some questions are relatively simple, but some are challenging, especially in the time. there are 50 multiple choice questions, and then an essay or two i think. if you do well in the TSA they can hardly turn you down without interview though. a way of seeing it is as another chance to add to your application, but then you would have to do well in it.

ReputationRep:
    that was this year, i don't think durham will make the same mistake again next year.
    They were last year too, what 'mistake' are you referring too, though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    They were last year too, what 'mistake' are you referring too, though?
    oops, i didn't know that- i meant the mistake of giving too few places/ giving too many places to people who missed their grades [i.e. people like me]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    ah ok i see

yeah i was wondering about that , is it particularly difficult the TSA ?
    Depends how quickly you think, I found it very easy because I could do the 25 wordy questions in ~ 15-25 minutes and still score 23-25/25 which gave me loads of time for the non-verbal part. That said, on the day, I had much less time than I was accustomed to and found it harder. Don't think I ever got my score back, some technical fault.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how quickly you think, I found it very easy because I could do the 25 wordy questions in ~ 15-25 minutes and still score 23-25/25 which gave me loads of time for the non-verbal part. That said, on the day, I had much less time than I was accustomed to and found it harder. Don't think I ever got my score back, some technical fault.
    same with me, kinda. i registered my details too early, when you're only meant to register them a week before the results are released. but i was rejected because of my GCSEs mainly- others just had a better case academically at the college i applied to.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't mind me asking, are you off to university this september?

ReputationRep:
    Would I have a decent chance at Durham with AABB at AS and A*AA predicted? (4A* 5A 2B at GCSE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economists)
    Would I have a decent chance at Durham with AABB at AS and A*AA predicted? (4A* 5A 2B at GCSE)
    If you achieve those grades then you'll probably be able to get in through Adjustment anyway. They've had spare places for the last 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't mind me asking, are you off to university this september?
    Yah, off to Oxford you?
    oops, i didn't know that- i meant the mistake of giving too few places/ giving too many places to people who missed their grades [i.e. people like me]
    ah, sorry to hear that

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering is they any point apply to uni with no a-level. The reason why I don't is because I'll be finish all my a-levels in June 2014. I hoping to do an economics degree and get to uni. Also I'm doing doing my igcse in jan 2014. All of this is because I've been travelling around Europe. Long story. What do u think ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    If you achieve those grades then you'll probably be able to get in through Adjustment anyway. They've had spare places for the last 2 years.
    I guess, but I'd feel much more secure with an offer :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muna88)
    Just wondering is they any point apply to uni with no a-level. The reason why I don't is because I'll be finish all my a-levels in June 2014. I hoping to do an economics degree and get to uni. Also I'm doing doing my igcse in jan 2014. All of this is because I've been travelling around Europe. Long story. What do u think ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Without a type of qualification that is accepted meaning A-levels or equivalent then you don't have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Yah, off to Oxford you?

ah, sorry to hear that
    meant to be going to UCL, but i missed my grades. Durham was my backup but missed those grades as well, but chose to re-apply altogether, rather than go through clearing. sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    i think UCL , Bath , Nottingham and York are four places ive got so far , with the 5th being Bristol or Durham. am i being too ambitious in my choices there ? UCL and Bath want A*AA ( UCL in Maths ) and Nottingham want ' AAA-A*AA ' so dunno which one , and York want AAA ( AAB if i do Maths , which i do ) so seems OK but i dunno im paranoid
    The lower offer is for applicants from difficult backgrounds eg. been in care, so they're not expected to do well but would without extenuating circumstances. So Nottingham is basically A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    i think that's a great mix- i got 6A*s, and got offers from Durham and UCL from that list, but was rejected by LSE because my UMS scores were poor. LSE aren't too bothered by GCSEs as long as the majority are A*s and As- although they'd prefer as many A*s as possible of course- they're mainly about UMS and PS.
    Do you mind sharing your UMS average/score? Just wanted to have an idea of what LSE consider good or poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Do you mind sharing your UMS average/score? Just wanted to have an idea of what LSE consider good or poor.
    Agreed.

Please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Agreed.

Please

I got a B in my fourth AS [biology], so my average was 84ish. my average without the 4th was about 90. i had to to take one chemistry module twice. but my A-levels weren't ideal either- i was self studying FM, but was going to take the exam last summer, and didn't have Econ. and my core scores averaged at 85. most of the people applying are solid mathematicians.

ReputationRep:
    like i said it wasn't just my UMS- my subject profile was weak- Maths, History, Chemistry and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Agreed.

Please

Thought I'd reply to this as well since I'm fortunate enough to be off to the LSE soon!

My average over my best 3 subjects (which were French, History and Maths) was 93%. My lowest UMS average (out of the 6 subjects I did at AS) was in Economics! :')

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.