Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blazekid75)
    Ah , Have you done further maths before? are the FP modules hard? And would there be any point in just doing an AS,will it improve my chances of getting into uni for economics greatly?
    it will improve your chances , in the sense that you'd be a better candidate against those who don't have Further Maths. However if your applying to LSE/Oxbridge chances are ALL the applicants will have A2 Further Maths or atleast the AS , so in order just to stay competitive you'll need to have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    it will improve your chances , in the sense that you'd be a better candidate against those who don't have Further Maths. However if your applying to LSE/Cambridge chances are ~90% of the applicants will have A2 Further Maths or atleast the AS , so in order just to stay competitive you'll need to have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    didn't know that haha , cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    it will improve your chances , in the sense that you'd be a better candidate against those who don't have Further Maths. However if your applying to LSE/Oxbridge chances are ALL the applicants will have A2 Further Maths or atleast the AS , so in order just to stay competitive you'll need to have it.
    Ah thanks for the advice! Do you think I should? And I have around 9 exams ( including retakes) for summer would taking further maths put too much pressure on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for the advice! Do you think I should? And I have around 9 exams ( including retakes) for summer would taking further maths put too much pressure on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how did you do in AS Maths ? if you've got an A in that , then yes chances are you would be able to cope with AS Further Maths ( i'm doing it aswell ) even if you got a B but were a couple of marks off an A you should be fine too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Hi. Where did you get offers and rejections from, if you don't mind me asking?
    rejections from lse and oxford, offers from ucl, durham and newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    Applying to York, Surrey, Exeter, Kent and UEA...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    how did you do in AS Maths ? if you've got an A in that , then yes chances are you would be able to cope with AS Further Maths ( i'm doing it aswell ) even if you got a B but were a couple of marks off an A you should be fine too.
    I got 231 UMS (9 Away from an A T_T)
    i got 70 Ums in C1(retaking maybe),71 ums in C2 and 90 ums in S1.
    But i don't know if there will be any people taking further maths next year,and if they do i would have to join the AS class and they may be doing S1(which i have already done) or M1 which i do not want to do. ANyway i'll try asking my teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR1194)
    Applying to York, Surrey, Exeter, Kent and UEA...
    What are your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keith111)
    What are your predicted grades?
    He's on a gap year and already has BBB. He's resitting maths and economics to get AAB.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into Year 13 this year. I got A(Maths), C(Chemistry), C(Economics,possibly going to a B after remark) and C(Biology, possibly B after remark) in my AS exams. My predicted grades are most likely going to be AAB with a chance of getting ABB. What universities do you recommend I apply to? I was thinking, Surrey, Queen Marys, City, Manchester. Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what a good score on the tsa is outta 50? Thinking about Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faiz_M)
    I'm going into Year 13 this year. I got A(Maths), C(Chemistry), C(Economics,possibly going to a B after remark) and C(Biology, possibly B after remark) in my AS exams. My predicted grades are most likely going to be AAB with a chance of getting ABB. What universities do you recommend I apply to? I was thinking, Surrey, Queen Marys, City, Manchester. Thanks for the help
    Seems like decent choices and if you do get better than expected grades you can go through adjustment to a better university.

ReputationRep:
    Herro guys. I emailed Exeter a while ago and finally got an email about the range inquiry! (Glad i could lose my admissions inquiry virginity with them). I asked about their (to me strange) A*AA-AAB offers (Obviously a huge gap!)

I think this is the most relevant paragraph from their selection they gave me:

'We publish a range of grades and these are meant as a guide only. Some of our offers are at the higher end of the range, recognising the potential of the applicant but everyone is treated on an individual basis. Contextual and other relevant information is also taken into account and that is why our offers may differ for the same course.'

So if i infer from it correctly, they will give certain people A*AA, some people AAA and others AAB offers? o.O
    Bit confused... Anyone can help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Herro guys. I emailed Exeter a while ago and finally got an email about the range inquiry! (Glad i could lose my admissions inquiry virginity with them). I asked about their (to me strange) A*AA-AAB offers (Obviously a huge gap!)

I think this is the most relevant paragraph from their selection they gave me:

'We publish a range of grades and these are meant as a guide only. Some of our offers are at the higher end of the range, recognising the potential of the applicant but everyone is treated on an individual basis. Contextual and other relevant information is also taken into account and that is why our offers may differ for the same course.'

So if i infer from it correctly, they will give certain people A*AA, some people AAA and others AAB offers? o.O
    Bit confused... Anyone can help?
    I'm not totally sure but you'll only get an AAB/AAA offer if you had some type of problem e.g illness and it affected your grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I'm not totally sure but you'll only get an AAB/AAA offer if you had some type of problem e.g illness and it affected your grades.
    I can back this up. I emailed nottingham and they said the lower end is the is for extenuating circumstances, since they also do a range of grades.

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the modules I can take for Fm As and currently I'm thinking of Fp1,S3 and S4. Can anyone comment on the modules e.g difficulty. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the modules I can take for Fm As and currently I'm thinking of Fp1,S3 and S4. Can anyone comment on the modules e.g difficulty. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    FP1 - i am studying this atm , and currently finding it a walk in the park. covered 3/6 chapters and they have been SO easy.

cannot say for the other two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    FP1 - i am studying this atm , and currently finding it a walk in the park. covered 3/6 chapters and they have been SO easy.

cannot say for the other two.
    Ah ok then,I heard FP2/3 are hard and I think the statistics modules would be more beneficial for economics
    But the problem is I might be the only one doing it at my school,so prob self study ~_~

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok then,I heard FP2/3 are hard and I think the statistics modules would be more beneficial for economics
    But the problem is I might be the only one doing it at my school,so prob self study ~_~
    self-studying FP1 is not really an issue , difficulty wise i'd place it inbetween C1 and C2. why don't you do S2 and S3 instead of S3 and S4 ?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.