Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A193)
    In our school those who do FM, have to fast track their Maths A-Level
    Why not do the full A Level Further Maths? That way you'll still be doing 3A2s in your second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-Torres)
    What exam board are you on?
    Aqa

Why are you guys applying to London unis when it's so expenisve?!?!?!
    Us future London high end stockbrokers gotta get use to our surroundings

(Btw Royal Holloway isnt actually in London, much more in Surrey)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)
    I really like the look of Edinburgh. Sadly, they only offer an MA, which I don't think involves a sizeable chunk of maths. I'd like to be taking a degree that would keep doors open for an MSc at a top university and I'm not sure the lack of maths at Edinburgh would help me with that all too much - this is the reason why I couldn't consider Exeter either :/.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. 17th best university in the world Would love to go there if they have the type of course I want.
    I'm no expert at all, but at the open day I remember every speaker explicitly emphasising the flexibility of the Scottish MA system. Essentially, I think you can tailor an Edinburgh degree to wherever your interests lie, and so you could make your degree as mathematical as you like. I think you'd even have the scope to take lots of pure Maths modules in the Maths department if you so wished. Again, don't quote me on it but I think you could probably tailor an Edinburgh to make it really matshy, and full of as much Econometrics/Game Theory as you want. I also think that it's reputable enough globally for it to open doors for prestigious post-graduate study, and perhaps more so than any other AAA university that you might be considering. That's just my opinion though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostesp)
    Yep,
    1st knew a guy applied to LSE last year for two course under the same department, government policy or sth like that, got both courses rej in Dec.

2nd LSE would say that you were unsure about ur choice.
    ( Adding another choice may let LSE think you really want to go to LSE,
    but it show that u r not confident enough.)
    Copied this off the LSE website:
    "Students applying to more than one course at LSE may find it difficult to effectively demonstrate these desirable qualities, in the limited amount of space provided. You should also note that applying to more than one course does not increase the likelihood of your being made an offer"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Why not do the full A Level Further Maths? That way you'll still be doing 3A2s in your second year.
    I have done A2 Maths, and I am doing A2 Economics, A2 History, AS FM this year.

Therefore, I will gain 3 A-Lvels for Maths, Economics, History, and an AS in FM, due to the whole no January exam policy, it was kinda a disincentive for me to drop FM

ReputationRep:
    think you get a bit more in terms of living costs loan if you apply to London , so it should counterbalance it

on another note my personal statement is FINALLY DONE. ****ING YES , i might actually be ready to apply now ( when my remark comes back that is )

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm ranking the course above the location. I'd go to St.Andrews if it was the ideal course for me, thankfully it's not though. On top of that, I live near London and despite wanting to move out, it does help to be nearby.

(Original post by Fas)
    on another note my personal statement is FINALLY DONE. ****ING YES , i might actually be ready to apply now ( when my remark comes back that is )

That's great, I'm almost done as well. In fact, I've finished but I've learnt that everyday I find another fault so I'll send it off tomorrow for referencing etc.

What are your five choices, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm sure I've asked this but I've probably forgotten)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    I guess I'm ranking the course above the location. I'd go to St.Andrews if it was the ideal course for me, thankfully it's not though. On top of that, I live near London and despite wanting to move out, it does help to be nearby.

That's great, I'm almost done as well. In fact, I've finished but I've learnt that everyday I find another fault so I'll send it off tomorrow for referencing etc.

What are your five choices, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm sure I've asked this but I've probably forgotten)
    exact same situation with me , there's always ALWAYS something wrong in it , but it tends to be trivial - like a particular wording or something like that.

ermmm , Warwick/UCL , Bath , nottingham , york and Durham how about yours ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Aqa

Us future London high end stockbrokers gotta get use to our surroundings

(Btw Royal Holloway isnt actually in London, much more in Surrey)
    Thats kinda true, but its caled RHUL (Royal Holloway University of London), thus a cusp of London and Surrey

ReputationRep:
    Guys York vs Surrey I'm kinda stuck on these 2 for my last spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I'd go for York, Surrey has a nice placement year from what I've seen but York being isolated in a small city/town does the trick for me.

(Original post by Fas)
    exact same situation with me , there's always ALWAYS something wrong in it , but it tends to be trivial - like a particular wording or something like that.

ermmm , Warwick/UCL , Bath , nottingham , york and Durham how about yours ?
    No Bristol? Did you ever consider it or was Bath always a certain choice?

I've got 4 risky choices in Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and hopefully a safe choice in Bristol. These choices lead to 2 outcomes. A) I'm really happy for myself or B) I've messed up big time, need to take a year out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    At York they have a whole module dedicated to probability! Ewww

ReputationRep:
    Where is better: Queen Mary, Sheffield, Sussex, Loughborough or Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    AAAA is probably the bare minimum to be competitive
    isnt that also the maximum?

ReputationRep:
    I've got 4 risky choices in Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and hopefully a safe choice in Bristol. These choices lead to 2 outcomes. A) I'm really happy for myself or B) I've messed up big time, need to take a year out.[/QUOTE]

im liking your style, all or nothing

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for York, Surrey has a nice placement year from what I've seen but York being isolated in a small city/town does the trick for me.

I've got 4 risky choices in Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and hopefully a safe choice in Bristol. These choices lead to 2 outcomes. A) I'm really happy for myself or B) I've messed up big time, need to take a year out.
    Similar situation, got Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Durham and Exeter. Let's hope outcome A!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The same choices as mine, haha. :P I was thinking of Economics with year abroad at Bristol but it's not the place I'd ideally would like to go so doesn't matter.
    Which Cambridge college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    isnt that also the maximum?
    It's no coincidence!

ReputationRep:
    At York they have a whole module dedicated to probability! Ewww
    I have to do it anyways as I'm doing Maths & Econ which has lots of statistics although I really don't mind .

ReputationRep:

i liked Bristol in terms of reputation however never went there unfortunately , and tbh it was either Bristol or Bath and i kinda went for bath

damn man thats risky , hopefully you got some good academics to back that up. although you really should get an offer from atleast one of those uni's

and YEAH hahaha thats what im thinking about my application too , dead scared that im going to get 5 rejections !

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.