Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOR2010)
    This is not true. I know UCL give offers to people with AABB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if this is true..... dear god do i love you for saying that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    Just remind me to reply to this, don't want to forget! (just a bit busy ATM, I'll reply ASAP)
    haha yeah will do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    Just remind me to reply to this, don't want to forget! (just a bit busy ATM, I'll reply ASAP)
    just reminding you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    My GCSEs are good, in my opinion they are but I don't think they are up to LSE standards.
    What are LSE GCSEs standards? (I do have no idea, I haven't done GCSEs myself so I don't know how many A* is good enough).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    What are LSE GCSEs standards? (I do have no idea, I haven't done GCSEs myself so I don't know how many A* is good enough).
    It's really hard to say, I'm guessing anything below straight A* puts you at a disadvantage since there will be those who apply with all A*. That's not to say you can't get an offer with below, I'm certainly hoping that since I'm applying there. But you'd want a nice majority A* so around 70% possibly.

ReputationRep:
    It's really hard to say, I'm guessing anything below straight A* puts you at a disadvantage since there will be those who apply with all A*. That's not to say you can't get an offer with below, I'm certainly hoping that since I'm applying there. But you'd want a nice majority A* so around 70% possibly.
    But A* at GCSE, for me, seems not to tell much about intelligence or ability. Many people in my school had 7-9 A* and some don't seem to be too clever in Maths or other subjects they got A* in.

ReputationRep:
    But A* at GCSE, for me, seems not to tell much about intelligence or ability. Many people in my school had 7-9 A* and some don't seem to be too clever in Maths or other subjects they got A* in.
    Shows how flawed the education system is, all people do is learn the "techniques" instead of the actual maths so when it gets tough they don't know what to do. The only subjects that give a true representation of your grade I'd say are essay based ones.

ReputationRep:
    They're important but LSE admission staff seem to be smart enough to realise they aren't everything, so if you're a good applicant chances are they'll make you an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got my epq presentation next Wednesday so I'm preparing for it at the moment. Does anyone who's already done it have any tips on what/what not to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's why I think most Universities should look at GCSEs compared to the cohort of there year. Obviously there should be more to it than that, because at GCSE you generally do better if your school is good.

You said you went to a private school? It's probably quite a good one considering lots had 7-9A*. It's either great, teaching or the students generally work harder. Highest in my year was 8A* and that's 1 person in 300-ish. The top students are on 2A* or 3A*.

Just a question, did you have people in your school consistently getting around C or D grades at GCSE? (Just curious if you have less able students at private schools)

ReputationRep:
    That's why I think most Universities should look at GCSEs compared to the cohort of there year. Obviously there should be more to it than that, because at GCSE you generally do better if your school is good.

You said you went to a private school? It's probably quite a good one considering lots had 7-9A*. It's either great, teaching or the students generally work harder. Highest in my year was 8A* and that's 1 person in 300-ish. The top students are on 2A* or 3A*.

Just a question, did you have people in your school consistently getting around C or D grades at GCSE? (Just curious if you have less able students at private schools)
    And from what I've heard, you can cram a few days before an exam and get a good grade. That doesn't really reflect the work during those 2-3 years.

On the website, it is written, that "67% of GCSE candidates achieved A*-A grades. An impressive 41% of all the students sitting the exams achieved nine A*-A grades or more". It actually doesn't say how many of those got over 50% of A* and I'm not that interested in GSCE results.

The website also says that 98% of GCSE grades were A*-C. (There were 9Ds and 1 E).

I myself I'm not concerned about GCSEs as I sat an equivalent but that was just 3 exams at the end of 3 years of my middle school education - humanities (polish language and literature, history, social studies, a tiny bit of history of art), maths and science (maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography) and english language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    I've got my epq presentation next Wednesday so I'm preparing for it at the moment. Does anyone who's already done it have any tips on what/what not to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    definitely include details about the process of the EPQ. so mention what difficulties you faced , any changes you had to make - also mention the reasoning for your choice to study the topic you did. Mention if you want the different ways you used to research the topic ( and perhaps add some detail about the research process itself - however i didn't do this )

then obviously talk about your actual project itself , remember to actually have an introduction to lead you into it and a conclusion to round it off. Speak clearly and coherently. If possible try and get some visual aids into it ( Diagrams/charts etc ) however that really does depend on what your project is.

One tip is instead of using Powerpoint use a website online called Prezi , tends to be more eyecandy for the audience and prevents the chance of them getting bored halfway through - however it's quite weird to work out how to use , and you'll need like 30+ slides ( that's not an exaggeration haha ) cos of how small each slide is.

Hopefully that helps , i had my presentation this past week and i think it went quite well but who knows

OH YEAH , be prepared for the questions at the end. Thankfully i didn't get caught out by any , but master yourself in the art of sneakily dodging questions and bull****ting your way out , works SO well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    definitely include details about the process of the EPQ. so mention what difficulties you faced , any changes you had to make - also mention the reasoning for your choice to study the topic you did. Mention if you want the different ways you used to research the topic ( and perhaps add some detail about the research process itself - however i didn't do this )

then obviously talk about your actual project itself , remember to actually have an introduction to lead you into it and a conclusion to round it off. Speak clearly and coherently. If possible try and get some visual aids into it ( Diagrams/charts etc ) however that really does depend on what your project is.

One tip is instead of using Powerpoint use a website online called Prezi , tends to be more eyecandy for the audience and prevents the chance of them getting bored halfway through - however it's quite weird to work out how to use , and you'll need like 30+ slides ( that's not an exaggeration haha ) cos of how small each slide is.

Hopefully that helps , i had my presentation this past week and i think it went quite well but who knows

OH YEAH , be prepared for the questions at the end. Thankfully i didn't get caught out by any , but master yourself in the art of sneakily dodging questions and bull****ting your way out , works SO well.
    Thanks a lot for the reply! I am actually using Prezi so I know how much better it is than Powerpoint. Thanks for the tips about the actual process of the EPQ, i'll be sure to add some bits about that!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone gotten any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Anyone gotten any offers yet?
    Sent my application off today, hopefully I'll get at least one before Christmas to ease the tension a bit. I had a nightmare last night where I didn't get any offers, got kicked out of my house and had to go live in a homeless shelter

I hate my nightmares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Sent my application off today, hopefully I'll get at least one before Christmas to ease the tension a bit. I had a nightmare last night where I didn't get any offers, got kicked out of my house and had to go live in a homeless shelter

I hate my nightmares
    I have the most weirdest dreams which doesn't relate to anything lol.Where did you apply to and with what grades? I'm pretty sure you'll at least get one offer.

ReputationRep:
    I have the most weirdest dreams which doesn't relate to anything lol.Where did you apply to and with what grades? I'm pretty sure you'll at least get one offer.
    I went with the high risk options: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Bristol

12A*s at GCSE and A*AA in Year 12 (A* in A2 Maths, A in my two other AS subjects - doing full A2 FM in Year 13 and continuing my other ASs to A2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)

12A*s at GCSE and A*AA in Year 12 (A* in A2 Maths, A in my two other AS subjects - doing full A2 FM in Year 13 and continuing my other ASs to A2)
    I'm pretty sure you will get no offers.
    Impressive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)

Yeah you've got nothing to worry about .

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you will get no offers.
    Impressive!
    Yeah you've got nothing to worry about .
    Thanks! I should be confident I guess, but I'm naturally someone who waits until things are confirmed until I celebrate

Anyway, how are your grades and where did you apply?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.