Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    AS grades are probably most important
    I see... Cuz my friend told me that if you got really high grades and high predictions unis will send you offers without caring too much about your ps... don't know.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am also applying for E&M. My GCSE's are a bit better than yours, but my A2 predictions are a bit worse than yours. The course is very competitive so don't have your heart set on Oxford since it's likely you'll be rejected (just going off of general admissions statistics).

That being said, if you do well in the TSA with a score in the high 60's or above you should get an interview (Keble interviewed everyone with a score above 68 in 2012) and who knows maybe you (or myself) may get lucky and get in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runjennyrun17)
    I see... Cuz my friend told me that if you got really high grades and high predictions unis will send you offers without caring too much about your ps... don't know.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You could have perfect grades and predictions, but if your personal statement is awful it's unlikely they'll just hand you an offer for having great grades. I spoke to a Bristol admissions tutor for a while on the open day about bad PS' and he gave the example of someone who they rejected for writing a racist personal statement (despite having been predicted 3 A*'s)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robin1125)
    You could have perfect grades and predictions, but if your personal statement is awful it's unlikely they'll just hand you an offer for having great grades. I spoke to a Bristol admissions tutor for a while on the open day about bad PS' and he gave the example of someone who they rejected for writing a racist personal statement (despite having been predicted 3 A*'s)
    Hmm I got it! Thx!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Racist o.O Thats a new one!

ReputationRep:
    I am also applying for E&M. My GCSE's are a bit better than yours, but my A2 predictions are a bit worse than yours. The course is very competitive so don't have your heart set on Oxford since it's likely you'll be rejected (just going off of general admissions statistics).

That being said, if you do well in the TSA with a score in the high 60's or above you should get an interview (Keble interviewed everyone with a score above 68 in 2012) and who knows maybe you (or myself) may get lucky and get in...
    1 in 12 applicants accepted yea, my hearts set on Oxford and UCL though (applied to UCL for Econ and Econ with Business)
    My TSA scores in 3 mocks I've done since reading 'Think you think?' has been 60,61,61 so hoping to get 70 points roughly after reading 'Thinking skills' and doing 4 remaining mocks

You practising much for TSA ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runjennyrun17)
    Hey guys. I just wonder how important are AS grades and Predictions in forming uni decisions? I know there can't be an accurate percentage ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Different for every uni. Some look at grades a lot more than personal statement. Some, it's the other way round. It really depends on where you're applying.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to a Bristol admissions tutor for a while on the open day about bad PS' and he gave the example of someone who they rejected for writing a racist personal statement (despite having been predicted 3 A*'s)
    :laugh: That's new, I hope that applicant was deliberately making a bad joke but I wouldn't bet on it.

PS. While talking to the admissions tutor, did he say anything about who they're likely to give an offer to? Like is there some sort of threshold they'll throw offers at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rafael_96)
    You practising much for TSA ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've done two. I got about 70 in the first and 65-67 in the second

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    :laugh: That's new, I hope that applicant was deliberately making a bad joke but I wouldn't bet on it.

PS. While talking to the admissions tutor, did he say anything about who they're likely to give an offer to? Like is there some sort of threshold they'll throw offers at?
    He basically said that if you're predicted 2 A*'s or more at A level then you're very likely to get an offer

ReputationRep:
    He basically said that if you're predicted 2 A*'s or more at A level then you're very likely to get an offer
    Oh that's good, at least it reduces some of the pressure of rejections. I guess I'll be waiting a while for a reply though since the universities must have tons of applications now all the Oxbridge people have applied.

ReputationRep:
    Having a mock interview with my Economics teacher's husband tomorrow. I hope it won't be too bad because then he will probably tell her and she is the kind of person who would make comments about it on the lesson.
    (I know it's early but that's what they do at my school.)

ReputationRep:
    I've done two. I got about 70 in the first and 65-67 in the second
    Sweet, likely to get an interview with those scores so all the best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    Having a mock interview with my Economics teacher's husband tomorrow. I hope it won't be too bad because then he will probably tell her and she is the kind of person who would make comments about it on the lesson.
    (I know it's early but that's what they do at my school.)
    Is he some sort of professional interviewer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Is he some sort of professional interviewer!
    No, he isn't. He just works in IB and knows a lot about Economics.
    (But I will have a mock interview with a professional interviewer later - a woman who is a PR coach, records, the you watch, she makes comments not only about what you say but how and your body language etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, did you guys get the email from King's? It's good to finally get a response from the college.

In other news, I also sent off my LSE questionnaire and the SAQ a couple of days ago. Do you guys know if UCL asks for the UMS for all economics candidates as my friend who is applying for maths got an application firm to fill in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    Hey, did you guys get the email from King's? It's good to finally get a response from the college.

In other news, I also sent off my LSE questionnaire and the SAQ a couple of days ago. Do you guys know if UCL asks for the UMS for all economics candidates as my friend who is applying for maths got an application firm to fill in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LSE have a questionnaire?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got this email as well. Good to know that we don't have much to do now, except fill in and post the Fee Status Questionnaire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    I got this email as well. Good to know that we don't have much to do now, except fill in and post the Fee Status Questionnaire
    I'm filling it in as well now.
    My passport photo is sooooo ugly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    I'm filling it in as well now.
    My passport photo is sooooo ugly.
    Did you guys use the same photo as the one you used in the SAQ? My photo isn't strictly a passport photo (it was my Facebook photo) as I don't look directly into the camera but it satisfied the criteria asked on the SAQ (i.e. Wasn't smoking etc. :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.