Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runjennyrun17)
    Hey guys. I just wonder how important are AS grades and Predictions in forming uni decisions? I know there can't be an accurate percentage ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on universities really (And sometimes the school)

I mean if you got AAA and got predicted A*AA, then theres no real problem or curiosity.
    AAB to A*AA, maybe a slight ponder but depending on the school/candidate, may just accept the prediction

Its when you get lets say BBC and get A*AA predictions (like one of my year-mates somehow >.<) then you may start getting questioned whether your actually an A*AA potential student, as your AS grades clearly do not show that.
    Likewise im sure lots of AAA universities see AAB at AS & Prediction, but examine them anyways since theres no universal way of predicting grades.

As long as they are consistent to a reasonable degree, then its probably predictions but i imagine lots of universities want at least a 'good' set of AS levels to show the department.
    (I imagine the likes of Warwick/Oxford/LSE receive hundreds of applicants with AAAA at AS and A*A*A* predictions, so even then someone can still be rejected!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    Did you guys use the same photo as the one you used in the SAQ? My photo isn't strictly a passport photo (it was my Facebook photo) as I don't look directly into the camera but it satisfied the criteria asked on the SAQ (i.e. Wasn't smoking etc. :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, my SAQ photo was my recent ID photo (white background etc) and in my passport, there is a photo of me 3 or 4 years ago. I wish I could just cut it out but it's on the page with my name etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    I'm filling it in as well now.
    My passport photo is sooooo ugly.
    My passport photo is one where I've just had a hair cut and the one for my SAQ has my hair really long and all over the place

By the way, what did you put for the bit where it says what student finance (if any) other than the University of Cambridge you will be applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smko)
    LSE have a questionnaire?!
    Yea, it's quite short though, compared to the SAQ at least. The main bulk of it consists of filling in your UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    My passport photo is one where I've just had a hair cut and the one for my SAQ has my hair really long and all over the place

By the way, what did you put for the bit where it says what student finance (if any) other than the University of Cambridge you will be applying for?
    On my passport photo, I look horribly tired and pale, hair doesn't look very nice either. SAQ photo is so much better compared to it.

I just put Student Finance England. I'm an EU student and I don't know if I can apply for anything more than Student Loan (for tuition fees). 9,000 is nice but I don't think I can't rely on my parents to pay for my costs of living so I will have to try and find something else. Probably Head of 6th Form at my school knows something more, I will go and ask him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    I just put Student Finance England. I'm an EU student and I don't know if I can apply for anything more than Student Loan (for tuition fees). 9,000 is nice but I don't think I can't rely on my parents to pay for my costs of living so I will have to try and find something else. Probably Head of 6th Form at my school knows something more, I will go and ask him.
    I may have to ask my Head of 6th form as well

(Original post by Epic Flawless)
    x
    What did you put down for this?

ReputationRep:
    My sisters friend got an offer from Bristol for economics and econometric (or accounting) for entry requirements AAB?!?!

Impossibruuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    I may have to ask my Head of 6th form as well

What did you put down for this?
    I have yet to complete it but I will put down student finance England as I will need to apply for a tuition fee loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    My sisters friend got an offer from Bristol for economics and econometric (or accounting) for entry requirements AAB?!?!

Impossibruuu
    I envy him/her with a passion. Can't wait till Bristol speak up and talk to me!

PS. His/her school must be in the bottom 40% if he got the AAB offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    I envy him/her with a passion. Can't wait till Bristol speak up and talk to me!

PS. His/her school must be in the bottom 40% if he got the AAB offer.
    Weirdly we both go to a grammar sixth form, which I guess is around the top 150 if I had to make a shot out there !
    (Think school mentioned like a 97% pass for A levels if that means anything lol)

I still don't comprehend why she got a fairly low offer lol. She's got great academic results like 7 A*s at gcse and AAAB at AS O.o

Edit: just checked the independents league table and apparently our school is top 90 somehow(!?!)
    What is Bristol smoking n

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly we both go to a grammar sixth form, which I guess is around the top 150 if I had to make a shot out there !
    (Think school mentioned like a 97% pass for A levels if that means anything lol)

I still don't comprehend why she got a fairly low offer lol. She's got great academic results like 7 A*s at gcse and AAAB at AS O.o

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/und...hools-2014.pdf

Is your sister's friend's, or incidentally you're school on the list? If it is, then you get AAB as an offer regardless.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/und...hools-2014.pdf

Is your sister's friend, or incidentally you're school on the list? If it is, then you get AAB as an offer regardless.
    Nope o.O it's a decent grammar school which gets a lot of passes at a level and sometimes 2 or 3 people in Oxbridge annually.

I still can't comprehend the contextual offer. No mitigating circumstances or being disadvantaged or anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope o.O it's a decent grammar school which gets a lot of passes at a level and sometimes 2 or 3 people in Oxbridge annually.

I still can't comprehend the contextual offer. No mitigating circumstances or being disadvantaged or anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is quite odd, stroke of luck I guess?

ReputationRep:
    That is quite odd, stroke of luck I guess?
    Some people get all the luck
    /grumpyface
    Worst bit I found is she even admits she hates reading the economist / economics lessons in general. Grrrr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some people get all the luck
    /grumpyface
    Worst bit I found is she even admits she hates reading the economist / economics lessons in general. Grrrr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sorta sucks. I mean, I'm hoping at University all the other economists actually love economics but it doesn't seem to be the case.

ReputationRep:

Impossibruuu
    Nah it's possible , it's the 'contextual' offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Got a confirmation email from UCL. How long after this does the ums form come?

Also got an email from LSE saying they will be back to me within 2 weeks. They referred to a previous confirmation email in this email. Will the UMS form for LSE come later?

Also in the process of filling out the SAQ for cambridge. Takes a fair bit of time doesn't it. Having a bit of trouble with the 'topics section'. I am unable to just list the main areas in the spec due to a character limit. What have you guys done for this? btw my A levels are Maths FM Chem Phy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simos)
    Hey guys,

Got a confirmation email from UCL. How long after this does the ums form come?

Also got an email from LSE saying they will be back to me within 2 weeks. They referred to a previous confirmation email in this email. Will the UMS form for LSE come later?

Also in the process of filling out the SAQ for cambridge. Takes a fair bit of time doesn't it. Having a bit of trouble with the 'topics section'. I am unable to just list the main areas in the spec due to a character limit. What have you guys done for this? btw my A levels are Maths FM Chem Phy
    I got the UCL conformation about a week ago and I've had nothing else so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Nah it's possible , it's the 'contextual' offer.

That sorta sucks. I mean, I'm hoping at University all the other economists actually love economics but it doesn't seem to be the case.
    Just talked to her, and apparently her offer is AAA or AAB but with the A in maths - C3 and C4 being graded A and B

How strange....

ReputationRep:
    @Jkizer, the TSR glitch isn't letting me see your message without signing out. What is her motivation to study Economics then?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.