Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Well basically I've heard quite a lot on tsr about Warwick not looking at economics applications without 8A* at GCSE and I'm sure most people have as well.
    Someone asked whether they even look at no. of A*s as they had heard you need a certain number to get in and he said that's absolute rubbish and they only take GCSE results as a last resort factor and they read through every single application anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Impression I got from the Q&A session in the afternoon was that the Economics professor (who I think was the same one from the morning session that I missed), seemed to think interest and passion for Economics played a greater role than GCSE's (or even A-Levels provided you get good predictions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiirankapoor)
    All the unis i want to apply for offer A*AA i think nottingham has offers between A*AA and AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, economics is such a competitive course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1717)
    Does anyone know what universities offer economics at AAA? Most I've seen are A*AA.
    Also that require A level maths. Because I take further maths so it would be pointless to waste...

ReputationRep:
    Also people are insisting that Bath is more difficult to get into than Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    Also people are insisting that Bath is more difficult to get into than Oxbridge?
    Where did anyone say that?

ReputationRep:
    To be completely honest, every year, Warwick say you don't need 8A*s and then people with below that who get into much more competitive places (Cambridge, LSE) are rejected and people with gcses better than that who don't get in anywhere else get into Warwick, it's crazy.

I know of one person with 8A*s who wasn't even predicted A*AA who was only rejected at the end of the cycle (the presumption here is that they were therefore considered the whole time, I mean why wouldn't the university just reject straight away). If you ask Warwick for the stats, I bet 80% of offers go to those with 7/8A*s or more at GCSE.

Also be aware that until 2 admissions cycles ago, this was an official policy. ie in feedback candidates were given gcses as a reason for rejection - by bet is that old habits die hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is also utter rubbish, I also went to the bath open day and there are 6 applicants per pace (as opposed to 9 at Cambridge and 14 at Oxford). He also said that you don't 'need' (although its highly recommended) to have 3 hard subjects. Apparently he's accepted people who have subjects such as PE or art as a third subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    To be completely honest, every year, Warwick say you don't need 8A*s and then people with below that who get into much more competitive places (Cambridge, LSE) are rejected and people with gcses better than that who don't get in anywhere else get into Warwick, it's crazy.
    I don't get it. Why should they care about GCSEs so much when there are AS results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    I don't get it. Why should they care about GCSEs so much when there are AS results?
    I spoke to admissions and for economics especially pretty much everyone has perfect AS results so they need something else to reject people on basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Bloxorus)
    I spoke to admissions and for economics especially pretty much everyone has perfect AS results so they need something else to reject people on basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^^
    especially because they don't take module scores, LSE was the same up until last year when they started taking scores and people with 'weak' GCSEs and 'strong' module scores were given offers. Seriously, think about it, how difficult would it be to scrape 4As at AS compared with getting 8+*s at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    especially because they don't take module scores, LSE was the same up until last year when they started taking scores and people with 'weak' GCSEs and 'strong' module scores were given offers. Seriously, think about it, how difficult would it be to scrape 4As at AS compared with getting 8+*s at GCSE?
    I don't know how difficult it is to get an A* in GCSE because I never did GCSEs. But it would be ridiculous if they rejected me with 5As at AS (I think my June results won't me much different than Jan) just because I did a different qualification and I don't have GCSE in Maths and English.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has questions about Bath's course I'm happy to help... just finished it and was at the open day last week, have heard the admissions talk far too many times so should be able to answer any questions!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how difficult it is to get an A* in GCSE because I never did GCSEs. But it would be ridiculous if they rejected me with 5As at AS (I think my June results won't me much different than Jan) just because I did a different qualification and I don't have GCSE in Maths and English.
    That would also be discrimination. I don't think anyone ever suggested that people who didn't do GCSEs would be judged like those who did?
    How did you extrapolate that from any of the information discussed?
    Equally, those who do IB or CIE (and therefore don't have UMS) are judged differently

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That would also be discrimination. I don't think anyone ever suggested that people who didn't do GCSEs would be judged like those who did?
    How did you extrapolate that from any of the information discussed?
    Equally, those who do IB or CIE (and therefore don't have UMS) are judged differently

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, my friend who applied to Economics at Edinburgh got rejected and when Head of Sixth Form asked them, they said it was because she didn't have C in English GCSE (she didn't do GCSEs). They didn't ask her about IELTS or anything, just rejected. I don't know if that was the real reason but that is what she was said.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my friend who applied to Economics at Edinburgh got rejected and when Head of Sixth Form asked them, they said it was because she didn't have C in English GCSE (she didn't do GCSEs). They didn't ask her about IELTS or anything, just rejected. I don't know if that was the real reason but that is what she was said.
    yes, but nobody here suggested that, any oustide information you have is great, but my point was that your response was odd given what i'd said.

Your friend should have clled admissions, that seems like a mistake, alternativlye, look at what Edinburgh actually sayd about people with your qualification because i know with Oxbridge not all qualifications are accepted and people from those countries would have to take a 'standard' qualification instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisjokes)
    I went today and surprised myself, I actually really liked it!

It was weird coming from a big city to a secluded campus but it was much nicer than I expected it to be. PPE (and Economics for that matter) seem really good too.

How did you find it?
    yeah same situation with me ! aye it was really good personally , i thought the Economics talk by ' Dr.Tom ' was really good haha

Campus was really good aswell

ReputationRep:
    RIGHT FOR CLAIRIFICATION. I spoke to the Warwick admissions tutor , and they said there is NO GCSE REQUIREMENT for Economics courses. even if you score "only" 1A* or 2A*'s at GCSE it is still worth applying as the Personal Statement and AS/A2 results/predictions counts for a LOT more. - that was what they told me , the bit about ' it's still worth applying ' was a direct quote from the admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:

I know of one person with 8A*s who wasn't even predicted A*AA who was only rejected at the end of the cycle (the presumption here is that they were therefore considered the whole time, I mean why wouldn't the university just reject straight away). If you ask Warwick for the stats, I bet 80% of offers go to those with 7/8A*s or more at GCSE.

Also be aware that until 2 admissions cycles ago, this was an official policy. ie in feedback candidates were given gcses as a reason for rejection - by bet is that old habits die hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PRSOM - What she said!

I still might have the email where the admission tutor directly told me that 7A*s was the cut off point. He said however it varies each year depending on the strength of candidates but it will always be around 7/8.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what universities offer economics at AAA? Most I've seen are A*AA.
    Nottingham/York/St Andrews - three highly regarded institutions offering AAA

ReputationRep:
    "This year offers have been based on 7 or more GCSE's at A*, but this can vary by year depending on the level of applications received." Direct quote.

This was in April 2012. Things may have changed since but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.