Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've been offered a place to study at Kingston Uni on the Graphic Design BA and at Edinburgh Uni (college of art) for direct entry to year 2 on the Graphic Design BA. I'm having a hard time deciding where to go so I wanted to see what other people thought is the better option?

I feel Kingston has better links with the industry and has a course that would push me to create great work but Edinburgh is a great university with plenty of other opportunities where I could see myself having a 'great uni experience'.

Moreover, I feel at Kingston I could get a bit bored of everything else and just focus on my work (which isn't all i want from Uni). I also feel that at Edinburgh I could end up completing my BA feeling out of touch with the current Graphic Design industry and with a less adventurous portfolio.

Any comment would be very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm at Kingston University I don't do Graphics but I know someone who does. He says that's it is hard work, but worth it. They do have a lot of contacts and organise a lot of studio visits and have lecturers that work within that field. As for living in Kingston, there are quite a lot of things to do, but if you get bored of here you can easily pop to Central London for the day for under £6 with a railcard. I don't know if that helps at all? But I hope it does a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nm94)
    Hi

I've been offered a place to study at Kingston Uni on the Graphic Design BA and at Edinburgh Uni (college of art) for direct entry to year 2 on the Graphic Design BA. I'm having a hard time deciding where to go so I wanted to see what other people thought is the better option?

I feel Kingston has better links with the industry and has a course that would push me to create great work but Edinburgh is a great university with plenty of other opportunities where I could see myself having a 'great uni experience'.

Moreover, I feel at Kingston I could get a bit bored of everything else and just focus on my work (which isn't all i want from Uni). I also feel that at Edinburgh I could end up completing my BA feeling out of touch with the current Graphic Design industry and with a less adventurous portfolio.

Any comment would be very helpful!
    Obviously, Edinburgh's a reputable university, but I think if you're dead-set on graphic design, you're better off going to Kingston.

My Dad studied graphic design at St Martin's and told me that the Kingston students always seemed to be much more well-connected in the industry than those from other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemenrule94)
    Obviously, Edinburgh's a reputable university, but I think if you're dead-set on graphic design, you're better off going to Kingston.

My Dad studied graphic design at St Martin's and told me that the Kingston students always seemed to be much more well-connected in the industry than those from other universities.
    Thanks for the comments guys. It's frustrating because i know how well connected Kingston is (as most London Unis are) but leaving London is so tempting.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity which did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    A family friend went to Edinburgh and got a job easily out of uni. There are certainly links at Edinburgh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garmy93)
    Out of curiosity which did you choose?
    Edinburgh!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.