Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Only 1 university offers the exact course I want.

I am applying for my university options soon.

As only 1 university offers the exact course I want is it likely that they could stop running the course for any reason? Because If i dont get into that course/uni I have other options but they are not the exact ones I need.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, personally I think it's very unlikely that your course would get cancelled, not many universities cancel their courses at this time of year. It has happened but I doubt you will need to worry about anything.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to a friend of mine, yet he had two back ups. He applied to a brand new course, and apparently not enough people had applied. He got a letter from UCAS saying that he'd withdrawn the course. He got worried as he thought someone had hacked his account, but it turned out that it was the university. This happened in about December - before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is possible for courses to be cancelled half way through the application process.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible for courses to be cancelled, but unlikely.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Happened to me when I was applying. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, one of the girls I was in halls with in first year had found out only a few weeks before she was due to start that her course had been cancelled (she ended up picking something at random through clearing, not liking it and then reapply the next year for my uni).

ReputationRep:
    My niece had her course cancelled after her first year...

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt happen that often, but yes, it can. The likelihood of it happening depends on the subject. Essentially, courses get cancelled for three different reasons - they dont attract enough students (very obscure course subject), they dont get approved/accredited (new course in its first year), or whatever funding was being used to run it gets withdrawn.

So, if its a well established course in a pretty normal subject, you have no need to worry, but if its 'Underwater Basketball Management' at a tiny college no-one has ever heard of, and this is the first year its been offered, then be cautious -phone the college and ask *if* it is actually going to run.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the possible failures noted above, it's possible that they might not run half of a joint honours course. E.g. The latin might not be run in an advertised BA (hons) textile design and latin course (or vice versa) and the uni would probably offer you some other combination instead.

Most of the time courses are actually run afaik.

ReputationRep:
    Well its not a traditional super smart degree but its something I want to do and Ive always wanted to go into the field:

I'm applying for "Special Educational Needs & Inclusion Ba Hons" and then hopefully follow it with the PGCE they offer afterwards.

Its not exactly "Underwater Basketball Managment" but its not a traditional English or Maths too so thats why I was worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwanSwan)
    I'm applying for "Special Educational Needs & Inclusion Ba Hons" and then hopefully follow it with the PGCE they offer afterwards.
    Check how long the course has been running, what are previous graduates doing now, and if it holds any form or accreditation by a professional body. These arent guarantees but they can be a pretty good indication that its an established, solid course. Also (importantly) is it being offered by a sensible established Uni or just an obscure 'thinks its a Uni but isnt really' type college.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a uni fair thing today and the lady said that it is so unlikely for it to be canceled. The uni started off as a teaching academy so courses like that have been running for ages and as there is only one course for it there and hardly any at other unis it should get quite an interest and fill up.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.