Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do I have an infection? Watch

Whenever I'm on my period my vagina/vulva is really sore, swollen and irritated/raw. I can sometimes get sores too. I do also sometimes get itchy but I never really thought anything of it.

I've always suffered with my periods (symptoms of dysmenorrhea) but I didn't think this would have anything to do with it? My discharge looks normal but it can sometimes have an odd smell. I've never had sex so it's unlikely to be an STI. Could it just be a yeast infection? Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend seeing your GP to make sure it's not an infection, but I personally believe your situation is linked to pH changes during menstration. It's pretty common. Periods can also increase the likelihood of having a yeast infection, again due to pH changes, but obviously this is something you will need to see your GP about.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you have an intolerance to tampons or sanitary towels. if you are overly clean "down there" during your period you are affecting your ph balance, so this means when you are using tampons or towels you are irritating your lady bits. maybe try a wash that is ph neutral such as mild baby wash and switching to boots naturals tampons and towels, they're organic cotton and a bit cheaper than branded ones.

hope this has been helpful!! xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.