Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Anxiety/ night terrors?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, just before I am falling to sleep or if I wake up in the middle of the night. I go into a state of sheer panic and become convinced that someone is trying to hurt of kill me. It gets particularly bad if I'm alone or there's no one else but me and my boyfriend in the house. It's really bad when I sleep somewhere unfamiliar. Every little noise seems huge and I usually freeze with fear. I have had panic attacks before.

I do not take drugs but when it's bad I think that's what it must be like to have a bad trip! I have a history of depression and I don't now if the two things are related.

What is wrong with me? Should I go to the doctors, it's making it impossible to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Anything which is severely disturbing your sleep pattern will ultimately not do you much good, so you should visit your GP and discuss the options through with them. You won't be the first person to visit with sleep disturbances, and there are a good deal of options available to you from sleep techniques, counselling and medication as a last resort.

Most issues are fixable, so just go and tell your GP what you're honestly feeling

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't wake up with a horse's head in your bed, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I get really bad anxiety and nightmare problems, I found what really helped for me was doing breathing exercises and meditation before bed - taking an hour or so just to wind down, relax, drink some camomile tea and get into a zen place. If you go to bed relaxed then you're more likely to get a good night's sleep. Avoid caffeine and alcohol in the hours before sleeping as well, it makes it worse!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.