Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White Mother VS Black Mother: Who really deserves this baby? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was recently blessed with what normal human beings call 'free time' and came across a documentary of some sort on Channel 4 on demand.

Scenario:
    There are two couples; a black one and a white one. Both couples have tried to conceive in the past naturally and have failed.
    As a result have opted for IVF and that also on several occasions has failed. Nonetheless, both couples try again and in the process of doing so the doctors coincidentally swap the black couples egg with the white couples. So now the white couple has the black woman's egg.

Obviously, the couples are not aware and fortunately the IVF process is successful for the white couple and unfortunately not for the black couple. 9 months down the line all is exposed and the white lady has a black baby. The black couple are made aware of this and now the black couple are attempting to make claims on this child.

Who deserves this baby?

I am just fascinated by how you all will tackle this highly complex and morally frustrating dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    Probably just a cover up. The white woman who pops out the black baby has a lot of explaining to do

ReputationRep:
    Although the white mother carried the baby, biologically, the baby is the black mother's baby.

However, this is a cockup of monumumental magnitude. The white mother should be compensated and given more IVF rounds.

(What an absolutely horrible situation to be in. I feel for both mothers in that both have suffered - one could have a baby taken away, and the other has suffered from trying in vain to conceive.)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    In my opinion, the baby belongs to the black couple, because there is no biological link with the white couple.

This is a horrendous question!

ReputationRep:
    I think the black couple surely should get the baby. It's like if a couple split up (or whatever else), each parent has a right to that child because biologically it is theirs.

What an awful situation!!! Imagine carrying a child for 9 months, planning your maternity and paternity leave, reading books, telling friends, buying baby stuff, then you give birth to a child that is not yours. How awful! Plus I feel for the black mother who never got the chance to carry her own child, although at least she gets a child out of it.

ReputationRep:
    this is maths equation is hard to solve

ReputationRep:
    The half-caste couple!

ReputationRep:
    The black couple. It's the doctors' fault, not theirs, that resulted in the white couple getting the child.

ReputationRep:
    "Attempting to make claims on this child"? Slightly loaded

The black woman is its biological mother. I don't see how it could be anyone's child but hers. You can debate about what it means for a child to be yours, but the fact is that that child is the flesh and blood of the black couple, no matter who carried it for nine months.

I do appreciate that it's a horrific situation for the white mother though - it must feel like losing a child, to find out that your pregnancy was someone else's. Is this a true story?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.