Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So for my English lit and Lang gcse we have essay questions on Pride & prejudice and To Kill A Mockingbird.
    Problem is I don't really read!
    I managed to read most of P&P and part one of MB...but is that enough
    I am planning on doing intense studying of the books ( chapter summaries, key themes and quotes etc.)
    I also DO want the grades in English so a/a*?
    Will I get away with it or should I force myself to read the books
    I used to read but have stopped now so if anyone has any really good book suggestions please tell and hopefully I can get into reading again!

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr96)
    So for my English lit and Lang gcse we have essay questions on Pride & prejudice and To Kill A Mockingbird.
    I am planning on doing intense studying of the books ( chapter summaries, key themes and quotes etc.)
    I used to read but have stopped now so if anyone has any really good book suggestions please tell and hopefully I can get into reading again!

Thanks!

Force yourself to read them. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but take it from me: there is nothing more terrifying than going into an exam without having read the texts you're being examined on.

I'd suggest that you skim-read both Pride & Prejudice and To Kill A Mockingbird, then look up each chapter on SparkNotes so you can understand them a little better. Oh, and watching the films doesn't hurt, either
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Just flipping read them. It's not difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think you deserve A/A* if you cannot be bothered to read the books?

Could someone get an A* in maths if they don't really do sums?

Or an A* in French if they don't really do the language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr96)

Thanks!

I would suggest you definitely read them,even though the extra reading may not be of specific use to you it will improve your understanding thus improving your analysing skills! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustWonderingWhy)
    Do you really think you deserve A/A* if you cannot be bothered to read the books?

You are great. I would give your positive but apparently I have reached my rate for the day. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr96)

Thanks!

To Kill A Mockinbird is a very interesting novel. I have never read Pride and Prejudice so I wouldn't know about that.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read 2 of the 4 books, during my gcse English literature, and I still managed to get an A*. You just need to know what you're talking about- and know where key quotes are in the book.

However that's not the best advice to give. So I'd say, if you have the time, do try and read the book

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemenrule94)
    Force yourself to read them. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but take it from me: there is nothing more terrifying than going into an exam without having read the texts you're being examined on.

I'd suggest that you skim-read both Pride & Prejudice and To Kill A Mockingbird, then look up each chapter on SparkNotes so you can understand them a little better. Oh, and watching the films doesn't hurt, either
    Thanks!
    I've started using SparkNotes and its really useful! That's why I got my hopes up and thought I could get away without reading them...so I suppose I'll give it a go then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustWonderingWhy)

Well said. You only get out what you put in. Don't put in the effort, you won't get a good grade.

Frankly you'd best learn to face up to doing things you don't like. Life's full of such things so it's best to get used to it sooner rather than later.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If you can't be bothered to read the books, you don't really deserve the grades. Just read them, you'll benefit.

ReputationRep:
    I never read my lit book at gcses (of mice and men) and I managed to get an A. But I don't suggest it because if I had put in the effort I could of got an A*.
    Listening in class would probably put you in a good position because my class went through the plot anyway and you could write down key points.
    What I found helpful was that my book had a quote at the back which was the most important quote from the whole book so I just used that in the exam; I would have never known that if my teacher didn't tell me that because I didn't even pick up the book until the very last minute.

ReputationRep:
    Read them.

Mocking bird is a brilliant book anyway, and I would recommend all of John green books, never let me go, Harry potter, kite runner,girl interrupted, perks of being a wallflower, I could be here all day...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay might as well read then -_-
    I've been thinking I wouldn't deserve the grades either if I didn't read it...it's just I've heard of so many people doing well having not read the books (but then again there are so many liars out there when it comes to talking about revising and studying)

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get an A in int 2 English (equivalent to A*-A i think) with out reading lord of the flies. I just listened A LOT in class, took down important quotes and stuff and luckily, the perfect question came up.

ReputationRep:
    You really should, as obviously it'll put you in a better position to understand the plot.

If you really can't be arsed (then you really can't be arsed to get top grades in the GCSE), then at least read a revision book on it. I'd suggest these two books (Google the ISBNs or use Amazon or something):

Pride and Prejudice: York Notes for GCSE 2010 - 978-1408248812

To Kill a Mockingbird: York Notes for GCSE 2010 - 978-1408248836

You can get them for really cheap off some sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr96)
    Okay might as well read then -_-
    I've been thinking I wouldn't deserve the grades either if I didn't read it...it's just I've heard of so many people doing well having not read the books (but then again there are so many liars out there when it comes to talking about revising and studying)

I think at GCSE you can still do well if you don't read the whole book, but getting an A* is much easier if you have read the book, because then if you answer the extract question for example, then you understand the context that it is in; you will know the events prior and after the extract, which will let you write a better response.

ReputationRep:
    Unpopular opinion: you can get an A/A* without reading the books if you read sparknotes. And by read I mean write down everything they say, still learn the key quotes. But you won't need to know it all anyway. Got me my A* in lit.

Although you should definitely read TKAM anyway because it's an absolutely fantastic book. P&P is a bit dry, I love classics but P&P does drag on a bit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.