The Student Room Group

Insecurities in a relationship

I've been with my girlfriend for two years now. As a rational person I know that nobody is perfect but I would say that she's an exceptionally good person and that's why I'm with her. I'd say our relationship is very healthy and happy.

That said - at some point or another - I think we've both felt jealous about someone. I got quite angry about it when she said it but to be honest I've felt insecure before. I recently admitted that I'd felt the same way for a while about one of her friends. We both knew that the other person wouldn't cheat: I think we just felt insecure.

I think that's a normal situation. Am I right?
Hmm. Feeling jealous is okay, but feeling that you have a reason to be jealous is more of a concern.

e.g. I often go dancing with my boyfriend and when I see him dancing with other women (even the wrinkly old ones), I feel a twinge of possessiveness. This is just a natural reaction at seeing my man in the arms of another woman; there is nothing for me to worry about (indeed, I am usually dancing with another man at the time so it would be hypocritical of me to complain).

If, however, I found that my boyfriend was dancing with/talking to/laughing with one particular girl more than he was with me, then I would have a reason to be jealous: I would feel neglected and would worry that I had competition.

The first scenario is natural (although you should limit it as far as possible), but the second is not. If you feel that either of you has a legitimate complaint about the behaviour of the other, then you really need to sit down and talk about it.

I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Insecurity in a relationship isn't ideal, but it is pretty natural, and if you both feel it that's better. Most important is that you are on the same wavelength about such issues and that you can discuss them openly.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm. Feeling jealous is okay, but feeling that you have a reason to be jealous is more of a concern.

e.g. I often go dancing with my boyfriend and when I see him dancing with other women (even the wrinkly old ones), I feel a twinge of possessiveness. This is just a natural reaction at seeing my man in the arms of another woman; there is nothing for me to worry about (indeed, I am usually dancing with another man at the time so it would be hypocritical of me to complain).

If, however, I found that my boyfriend was dancing with/talking to/laughing with one particular girl more than he was with me, then I would have a reason to be jealous: I would feel neglected and would worry that I had competition.

The first scenario is natural (although you should limit it as far as possible), but the second is not. If you feel that either of you has a legitimate complaint about the behaviour of the other, then you really need to sit down and talk about it.

I hope this helps.

Pretty much this. Great post!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

I hope this helps.

Yeah we have both discussed it - to be fair it took some dutch courage for us both to admit it (separate occasions). But we both spoke openly about it afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending