Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so here is the question:

Given the density of ethanol is 0.789 g cm3 we can convert the concentration to %ABV.
    (a) Using the RMM of ethanol work out what mass of ethanol is present in 1 dm3 of the unknown sample.
    (b) What mass would be present in 100 cm3, this is the % by mass.
    (c) Use the density of ethanol to convert the % by mass into a %ABV.
    (d) Finally state which bracket the cider sample should be taxed in.

Background info:

Concentration of the unknown is 0.04moldm-3 and the volume is 4ml. it was a practical and we were given that information.

How would you work out the %ABV?

Please help i need the answer for tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks so much!!!!

ReputationRep:
    help please!!!!

Lots of plus rep available

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, You must be in Group 1 with me. Have you managed to figure it out yet? If not..I'll try and help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemicalX)
    Right, so here is the question:

Given the density of ethanol is 0.789 g cm3 we can convert the concentration to %ABV.
    (a) Using the RMM of ethanol work out what mass of ethanol is present in 1 dm3 of the unknown sample.
    (b) What mass would be present in 100 cm3, this is the % by mass.
    (c) Use the density of ethanol to convert the % by mass into a %ABV.
    (d) Finally state which bracket the cider sample should be taxed in.

Background info:

Concentration of the unknown is 0.04moldm-3 and the volume is 4ml. it was a practical and we were given that information.

How would you work out the %ABV?

Hello! I've tried calculate a value but now I'm stuck.

The concentration for the unknown sample was 0.05. I used that to work the %mass (which turned out to be 0.23g in 100cm3). I then divided it by the density and got 0.29.

I don't know what to do next. Do I multiple it by 100 to get a % or is that the %ABV?

If you could please help me I need an answer for tomorrow

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.