Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Greatest Human in the History of History Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    Let me rephrase that: First modern person who fought against the system and won
    You've never studied Cromwell, have you?

How, exactly, did he win? By the end of his life he was essentially a monarch in all but name. He illegally disbanded the Rump Parliament, had a direct military rule and then tried to influence the results of an election to Parliament. He was worse than Charles.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Herodotus myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Spartan)
    You've never studied Cromwell, have you?

How, exactly, did he win? By the end of his life he was essentially a monarch in all but name. He illegally disbanded the Rump Parliament, had a direct military rule and then tried to influence the results of an election to Parliament. He was worse than Charles.
    You forgot he murdered quite a few catholics in Ireland. (maybe the op is protestant? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    You forgot he murdered quite a few catholics in Ireland. (maybe the op is protestant? )
    You also forgot about his murdering and repression of Scottish Catholics as well. A regicidal, genocidal maniac I think sums him up well. Somehow he was still voted the tenth greatest Briton; we either have very bad historical education or very few great people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    You also forgot about his murdering and repression of Scottish Catholics as well. A regicidal, genocidal maniac I think sums him up well. Somehow he was still voted the tenth greatest Briton; we either have very bad historical education or very few great people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Churchill was number 1! I remember that. *shakes head*

Which reminds me, the greatest human would have to be Isambard Kingdom Brunel or someone of his ilk. Someone who created the world, not destroyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Churchill was number 1! I remember that. *shakes head*

Which reminds me, the greatest human would have to be Isambard Kingdom Brunel or someone of his ilk. Someone who created the world, not destroyed it.
    I think people choose to remember Churchill as a hero without knowing too much. I don't think anyone's mentioned Gandhi? Or a slightly lesser known Edward Jenner; he invented the idea of vaccines and cured the only disease that we know to be completely extinct

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    I was wondering what peoples view on the greatest person that has ever lived in the whole of Human History....Mine is personally Leonardo Da Vinci for being the greatest, most genius person to walk on this earth

And Cromwell
    Has to be between Caesar and Alexanader the great. Though Napoleon is probably the greatest of the modern era.

Cromwell was a Puritan. No Christmas does not equal greatness!

ReputationRep:
    I think people choose to remember Churchill as a hero without knowing too much. I don't think anyone's mentioned Gandhi? Or a slightly lesser known Edward Jenner; he invented the idea of vaccines and cured the only disease that we know to be completely extinct

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good call on Jenner. Do you know his research has saved the lives of more people than the actions of any other single person in history?

I think he was to humble to be called great in the sense I think this thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    There is evidence if Jesus existence on this earth you may not appreciate him or this but through cannot deny his impact being based in his existence in this world.

Sorry no myth and legends here!
    Jesus' existence is a shady issue...
    there are not many reliable sources referring to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Good call on Jenner. Do you know his research has saved the lives of more people than the actions of any other single person in history?

I think he was to humble to be called great in the sense I think this thread is about.
    It's amazing so many people don't know who he is when you consider how many lives he's responsible for saving and the impact he's had on the world

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Jesus' existence is a shady issue...
    there are not many reliable sources referring to him.
    I'd agree with Jesus.

While I don't believe in the miracles he performed or such like, it is a little strange to imagine that 2000 ish years ago, a group of men meant up and decided to make up a magical character called Jesus and then proclaim him to be the son of God.

What seems more likely is that he did in fact live in round about this time frame and was simply a man to whom miracles were associated, but it is likely someone called Jesus lived and who inspired thousands (even if he wasn't son of God or a miracle worker).

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing so many people don't know who he is when you consider how many lives he's responsible for saving and the impact he's had on the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I live in Bristol near Berkshire where he lived. I've been to Berkley castle which is close to his house I think. It's probably because he didn't look for a lot of recognition I think and his ideas weren't very popular at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    I'd agree with Jesus.

While I don't believe in the miracles he performed or such like, it is a little strange to imagine that 2000 ish years ago, a group of men meant up and decided to make up a magical character called Jesus and then proclaim him to be the son of God.

What seems more likely is that he did in fact live in round about this time frame and was simply a man to whom miracles were associated, but it is likely someone called Jesus lived and who inspired thousands (even if he wasn't son of God or a miracle worker).
    Perhaps, common sense does seem to suggest that a Jesus figure did exist.
    However, reliable historic accounts of his existence are pretty thin on the ground...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    I live in Bristol near Berkshire where he lived. I've been to Berkley castle which is close to his house I think. It's probably because he didn't look for a lot of recognition I think and his ideas weren't very popular at the time.
    Yeah I think a lot of it is to do with him not seeking publicity but I think that just makes him an even greater person, it's still a bit surprising that his name hasn't been mentioned more since we now understand the importance of what he did

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. Jesus
    2. J.S. Bach

Then the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Dog)
    I'm not religious, but Jesus. Evidently he's impacted on the world by the greatest extent
    Only in the past two millennia.

And arguably not for the better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    There is evidence if Jesus existence on this earth you may not appreciate him or this but through cannot deny his impact being based in his existence in this world.

Sorry no myth and legends here!
    If we are going to include religious people Muhammed blows Jesus out the water.

As much as I dislike them both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    1. Jesus
    2. J.S. Bach

Then the rest
    I think it's wrong to put religious prophets into that list. Firstly as I said a lot of what they did is shrouded in myth and also think of all the harm religion has done and not just the good. As for Bach, what separates him from Wagner (not the X factor guy) or Beethoven?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Muhammad pbuh

ReputationRep:
    I think it's wrong to put religious prophets into that list. Firstly as I said a lot of what they did is shrouded in myth and also think of all the harm religion has done and not just the good. As for Bach, what separates him from Wagner (not the X factor guy) or Beethoven?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you suggesting that Wagner from the X factor didn't make a valuable contribution to the Western musical tradition?????? :mad:

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.