Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Greatest Human in the History of History Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceJ)
    Finally! Someone agrees! I posted that last night!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
    yes!

Just because he wasn't a war lord he doesn't get respect

The war lords should not be remembered, they killed many...

Newton was a man of peace who died a virgin in the name of science..respect!

ReputationRep:
    Thomas Edison

ReputationRep:
    Jesus. Im not religious, but he has just impacted the world so enormously and the effects are still around today despite him having lived 2 millennia ago.

ReputationRep:
    Jimmy McPerson of course!

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...62157163-2.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I'll agree with the OP and go for Da Vinci

ReputationRep:
    Isaac Newton & Albert Einstein

ReputationRep:
    I agree too! Isaac and Albert legendary Scientists!!!
    (Original post by ReeceJ)
    Finally! Someone agrees! I posted that last night!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Depends what your criteria for 'greatness' are, really. If we're talking contribution to human development then it's got to go to a scientist, Newton/Darwin/Einstein are worthy mentions but my personal pick would be Galileo.

If, however, we're talking about incredible personal achievement/triumph then it'd have to go to a conqueror of some form, perhaps Genghis Khan/Alexander the Great/Napoleon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    Jesus. Im not religious, but he has just impacted the world so enormously and the effects are still around today despite him having lived 2 millennia ago.
    Are you forgetting the damage done by Christianity as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    Are you forgetting the damage done by Christianity as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but a lot of that was done by people twisting the word of Jesus and using it for their ulterior motives.

ReputationRep:
    It's at times like this that I realise how little I actually know. All we have to go on is how history remembers people, not what actually happened - there's a really high possibility that half these people got more credit than they deserved. However, since it's all we've got to go on;

- Alexander the Great, for sheer scale and ability as a general.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci, for peing a complete polymath and inventing tanks and parachutes several hundred years too early.
    - Genghis Khan, for rising from complete poverty to having a name that resonates across history and continents.
    - Cleisthenes, for founding the origins of modern democracy.
    - Mohammed, for founding a religion that took over half the world and gave us much of our early mathematics and scientific knowledge. (Incidentally, I do not agree with much of Islam in a modern context, and do not believe in it as a religion, but for cultural impact and for its time I would rate it more highly even than Christianity.)

I want to name more scientists, but it's really hard to pinpoint individuals - for example, Einstein tore apart our intuitive concepts of space and time, but he couldn't have done that if the state of science at that time hadn't been about ready for it.

ReputationRep:
    Gjergj Kastrioti was an Albanian Lord who saved Europe from being overpowered by the Ottoman Empire, if it wasn't for him, Europe, and probably most of the world would be Islamic. Of course this isn't a bad thing for people who are Muslims, but he essentially saved Christianity in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but a lot of that was done by people twisting the word of Jesus and using it for their ulterior motives.
    Or you could say those who use it for good are twisting it? Regardless of it's been interpreted religion was still the reason for what they did, had Jesus never come along then certain things might never have happened

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    Or you could say those who use it for good are twisting it? Regardless of it's been interpreted religion was still the reason for what they did, had Jesus never come along then certain things might never have happened

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but if youre going to have that attitude then great people may as well never do anything. You cant control how future generations will exploit what you preached or did. That's got nothing to do with the actual person themselves.

ReputationRep:

Even if you want to take religion aside, study his life from a secular perspective and it's doubtful you wouldn't consider him [at the very least] a major contender for the title of "greatest".

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but if youre going to have that attitude then great people may as well never do anything. You cant control how future generations will exploit what you preached or did. That's got nothing to do with the actual person themselves.
    But you praised his impact, his impact hasn't been completely positive at all. No one goes out and steals in the name of Alexander the Great or Charles Darwin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In my humble opinion, Jesus. Feel free to totally disagree with me, I admit I'm thoroughly biased, but nobody has quite had the same impact on history as he has. If Christ never lived, history would be totally different. No Christ; no Christianity. No Christianity; no figures like Martin Luther King, William Wilberforce, Mother Theresa and so on. No Christianity; the whole of European and American history would be different. No Christianity; no crusades. The list goes on. Endless people have been inspired by him (the above people plus figures like Ghandi) or despised him. Almost everyone has an opinion on him.

But like I said, feel free to disagree because I'm slightly biased.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100...ons_in_History
    Number one: Muhammad PBUH

Michael H. Hart, The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History, New York: Hart Publishing Company, Inc. 1978, p. 33:
    "My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."

ReputationRep:
    Is there proof Muhammed existed? Not hating, genuinely curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    Is there proof Muhammed existed? Not hating, genuinely curious
    Well he is mentioned in the Quran and the Bible so im guessing so,

As for the original question id have to say emile heskey, hes just an icon that will forever be remembered

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.