Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    While tablets are trying to get smaller and smaller - seems a bit counter productive?

I've been searching for a new phone since Christmas (as an IOU present) and it's taken me up until now to choose the right one and I have settled for a Chinese brand because, tbh, I don't really like any phones on the UK market atm.

The only problem is size, all the phones nowadays are 4.5 inches + and it's just too big! These phones (particularly Samsung S3) are just too big to hold in one hand and certainly won't fit in my pocket.

(For the record I have normal size hands!)

So basically my question is why? Why do we need phones this big? Don't we have tablets and computers for this?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have an HTC One X and before I got it I thought it was really big, but now I wouldn't look back.
    Unfortunately I've had to send my One X off for repair and have been given an HTC Wildfire on loan, and I can't stand it, it's so tiny and hard to text on and the screen isn't great.

I keep my phone in a small pocket in my bag. I like having the 4.7" screen for texting, browsing, taking quick snaps and playing games. I also have a 7" tablet but I find there's very little overlap for what I use each for.

I guess different people like different things.

ReputationRep:
    Got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 here with a 5.5 inch screen and it is beautiful. It's so easy to use and everything else just seems inferior and small in comparison. Admittedly, because of the size it can be difficult to type on if you're say, power-walking for the Underground or something. But it's fine just sitting around. I had a HTC Sensation before this with a fairly big screen and it was big enough and easy to type on the go so that screen size is definitely okay. Think it was 4.3 inch, might be wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that! Some of the phones I saw the Asians using were more like tablets than phones how on earth do they put them in their pockets?!

ReputationRep:
    Eventually phones and tablets will become virtually indistinguishable, that's my guess. They'll all be about 5.5" and can do everyhting..

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, it's a shame smaller phones from brands are usually lower quality. I just think these big touchscreens look ridiculous, especially some of the Samsung ones which are otherwise nice phones. Funny how the early mobile phones were humungous then started getting smaller and smaller over the years, now they're getting massive again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    I know what you mean, it's a shame smaller phones from brands are usually lower quality. I just think these big touchscreens look ridiculous, especially some of the Samsung ones which are otherwise nice phones. Funny how the early mobile phones were humungous then started getting smaller and smaller over the years, now they're getting massive again...
    I agree that the samsung ones look not very good - however i dislike them because of how plasticky they are - if my phone was the same but was a 1080p or 4k version with a 6 inch screen i would be in love [padfone 2 owner here]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrampie)
    While tablets are trying to get smaller and smaller - seems a bit counter productive?

I've been searching for a new phone since Christmas (as an IOU present) and it's taken me up until now to choose the right one and I have settled for a Chinese brand because, tbh, I don't really like any phones on the UK market atm.

The only problem is size, all the phones nowadays are 4.5 inches + and it's just too big! These phones (particularly Samsung S3) are just too big to hold in one hand and certainly won't fit in my pocket.

So basically my question is why? Why do we need phones this big? Don't we have tablets and computers for this?! :confused:
    Which Chinese brand did you go for?

It's the way the market is going. People want bigger phones. To be honest once you use a phone that big for a week you get used to it and if you go back to a smaller phone you can't use it because it's so small compared to what you just used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Which Chinese brand did you go for?

It's the way the market is going. People want bigger phones. To be honest once you use a phone that big for a week you get used to it and if you go back to a smaller phone you can't use it because it's so small compared to what you just used.
    Actually I lie, not 100% sure it's Chinese but it was from a Chinese website so I only assumed... It's the Freelander I10s

ReputationRep:
    Aren't they just? It seems like an age since that little Nokia 8310 was the object of everyone's desire.

Those were the days when one also carried an iPod, digital camera, handheld games console and a portable DVD player, however. There is still far less in everyone's pocket nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    What annoys me is ones with smaller screens often poor specifications.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I lie, not 100% sure it's Chinese but it was from a Chinese website so I only assumed... It's the Freelander I10s
    Not bad. I have the Star B92m from a Chinese manufaturer myself and i got it for £125 (7 months ago) and it's the same spec as the Galaxy S3 so i'm very much impressed.

Have you purchased the phone already? I could probably recommend a better phone/price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Not bad. I have the Star B92m from a Chinese manufaturer myself and i got it for £125 (7 months ago) and it's the same spec as the Galaxy S3 so i'm very much impressed.

Have you purchased the phone already? I could probably recommend a better phone/price.
    I love the prices :') mine was £80 and I've already ordered it I'm afraid ... Hasn't arrived yet though! But I'll certainly come to you if it doesn't turn up for any reason or in the future when I'm on the prowl again :rolleyes:

What website did you use?

ReputationRep:
    I love the prices :') mine was £80 and I've already ordered it I'm afraid ... Hasn't arrived yet though! But I'll certainly come to you if it doesn't turn up for any reason or in the future when I'm on the prowl again :rolleyes:

What website did you use?
    I buy my phones from AliExpress.

It's a bit like ebay/amazon without the bidding and with multiple sellers. Phone ships from China but they mark it as a gift so little to no import tax

I got my phone back in September now and it's worked fine till now. Especially since at the time i'd have had to have paid around £300 more in the UK for a similar spec phone.

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone have? I've never cared about new mobiles tbh, it's just unnecessary to have it do anything beyond texting and phoning.

I use:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    I remember saying exactly this same thing before! I guess as new features get added they require some new size of handset. I currently have an iPhone 4S, which isn't massive but it's a bit bigger than some phones I've had in the past. But I like it as I use it a lot to browse the web and it's easier to write on than some older phones that don't have the qwerty keyboard. I don't think I'd want a phone any bigger than this

ReputationRep:
    I miss those old times when a mobile was just for calls and messages :sad: Now they became much more advanced. Mobiles should still remain with their main function which is to communicate with other people through call/messages.

I use and really satisfied with it:

Name:  5228black-1_0.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  161.0 KB

ReputationRep:

If you are commuting to work or Uni it's not very sensible to pull out your laptop so people tend to buy larger phones so they can read emails easily/ makes notes/ or just simply watch a video.
    Larger phones are pretty awesome! You should try them . I have the Samsung Note 2, the biggest phone on the market currently .

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how about 10 years ago phones were getting smaller and now they're are getting bigger.
    But when I say bigger, in reality I mean the screen size is increasing while the rest of the phone is getting slimmed down and made lighter.

I guess it's do with the way the market is heading with more and more people using their phone for browsing the internet, playing games, watching films etc where having a bigger screen is more ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    If you are commuting to work or Uni it's not very sensible to pull out your laptop so people tend to buy larger phones so they can read emails easily/ makes notes/ or just simply watch a video.
    Larger phones are pretty awesome! You should try them . I have the Samsung Note 2, the biggest phone on the market currently .

Google "Huawei Ascend Mate"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.