Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I was hoping if someone would be willing to share their revision techniques and tips I'm doing mind maps, using whiteboards, posters, typed notes, writing stuff out, verbally speaking to someone, youtube videos and I was wondering what other methods there are by learning. I tend to find I do better/absorb more when I used a variety of stuff.
    I'd really appreciate any help.
    I'm enjoying A2 more, but I'm finding theres ALOT to absorb.
    I tend to be lazy when writing :/ so bad since a-level I write things in shorthand or bullet point when revising

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I print out a copy of the spec and fine each point in the book :P I then use a combination of techniques to learn the relevant page :P Normally a mix of rereading over and over, writing out a list of relevant bullet points (particularly useful for set processes like the lac operon) etc etc. worked wonders at as so might as well do it again xD What board are you doing it on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoGoodOnesLeft)
    I print out a copy of the spec and fine each point in the book :P I then use a combination of techniques to learn the relevant page :P Normally a mix of rereading over and over, writing out a list of relevant bullet points (particularly useful for set processes like the lac operon) etc etc. worked wonders at as so might as well do it again xD What board are you doing it on?

thank you! any tips with the actual exam technique? I eventually know it inside out, but want to improve exam technique if I can
    OCR you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libby18)
    thank you! any tips with the actual exam technique? I eventually know it inside out, but want to improve exam technique if I can
    OCR you?
    Im OCR as well!!!!! Its a horrible board unless you perfect your exam technique! :P For exam technique i mainly do the past papers over and over, comparing to the mark schemes after each attempt so i can mould my answers around theirs. You begin to see patterns in the way they ask questions :P and what answers they expect

As for the longer questions they are often on repeated topics so it helps to know the mark schemes for previous papers! Reading the examiner comments on the OCR website can also really help :P

ReputationRep:
    Im OCR as well!!!!! Its a horrible board unless you perfect your exam technique! :P For exam technique i mainly do the past papers over and over, comparing to the mark schemes after each attempt so i can mould my answers around theirs. You begin to see patterns in the way they ask questions :P and what answers they expect

As for the longer questions they are often on repeated topics so it helps to know the mark schemes for previous papers! Reading the examiner comments on the OCR website can also really help :P

aha nice one! thats so true and my capable/target grade is an A*, but the truth is with this module I'll be crying of happiness if I receive an A as I'm finding the application questions pretty tough :/ damn you exam technique -_-

ReputationRep:
    aha nice one! thats so true and my capable/target grade is an A*, but the truth is with this module I'll be crying of happiness if I receive an A as I'm finding the application questions pretty tough :/ damn you exam technique -_-
    because of my As grades im pretty much guaranteed an A even if i get a B this year but getting the A* will be really hard D: worried my ISA will bring my grade down :/ DAMN PRACTICALS

What are you struggling with in regards to the application questions? :/

ReputationRep:
    because of my As grades im pretty much guaranteed an A even if i get a B this year but getting the A* will be really hard D: worried my ISA will bring my grade down :/ DAMN PRACTICALS

What are you struggling with in regards to the application questions? :/
    ohh lucky! what do you need for your uni offer- an A? Yeah theres a steep jump from A to a A*.
    Erm I'm not sure how to explain, btu when you see a question what process do you go through i.e sometimes im not sure what to write/what they are asking for -I usually can work out what topic or what it relates to.

ReputationRep:
    ohh lucky! what do you need for your uni offer- an A? Yeah theres a steep jump from A to a A*.
    Erm I'm not sure how to explain, btu when you see a question what process do you go through i.e sometimes im not sure what to write/what they are asking for -I usually can work out what topic or what it relates to.
    Well for this years offer i really only need an A but if i want to reapply next year realistically i need A*A*A this year D: hoping one of those A*'s will come from bio as it is NEVER gona come from physics :P :/ what do you need?

That is a very tough question to answer im afraid, though i might be able to give it a go if you can find a quick example question? :P That way i can type out my answer as well as talk through my process

ReputationRep:
    I just used the coursebook. I made notes for the whole thing throughout the year - 1 A4 sheet of smallish handwriting per double-page spread from the book. Also, I used colour pens for every important term which I had to remember. I then just read my notes over and over and over. Additionally, a few days before the exam I went through the spec to ensure I knew everything. Past papers are also important, although rather than just doing past paper after pasts paper (especially considering there were only a few available) I found it more useful to have the questions and answer/marking-sheet side by side so I could instantly see exactly the kind of things which examiners were looking for - this being useful for the essay-like questions which have rather stringent boundaries concerning gaining points. I too read the examiner reports as has been previously mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic_fuzz)
    I just used the coursebook. I made notes for the whole thing throughout the year - 1 A4 sheet of smallish handwriting per double-page spread from the book. Also, I used colour pens for every important term which I had to remember. I then just read my notes over and over and over. Additionally, a few days before the exam I went through the spec to ensure I knew everything. Past papers are also important, although rather than just doing past paper after pasts paper (especially considering there were only a few available) I found it more useful to have the questions and answer/marking-sheet side by side so I could instantly see exactly the kind of things which examiners were looking for - this being useful for the essay-like questions which have rather stringent boundaries concerning gaining points. I too read the examiner reports as has been previously mentioned.
    May i ask what grade you got? Its just im finding the jump from A to A* really tough D: seems down to luck wether i get it or not atm :/

ReputationRep:
    Well for this years offer i really only need an A but if i want to reapply next year realistically i need A*A*A this year D: hoping one of those A*'s will come from bio as it is NEVER gona come from physics :P :/ what do you need?

That is a very tough question to answer im afraid, though i might be able to give it a go if you can find a quick example question? :P That way i can type out my answer as well as talk through my process

ahh thank you :') I need AAA, my capability grades from school are A*A*A* but I doubt I'll get them tbh :/ I dont have the 'technique ability' which required which tbh sucks but AAA is my offer so i'd be estatic with them

Here:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/78565-q...nvironment.pdf

try page 11 part c i) or page 12 part d (its a 6 marker) or page 14 on rice.

I dont expect a typed answer btw, just like a typed structure as to how you'd answer it, as I know its abit early and you may not have revised/learnt it yet (as we havent yet)

ReputationRep:
    May i ask what grade you got? Its just im finding the jump from A to A* really tough D: seems down to luck wether i get it or not atm :/
    A*, on OCR. I find that the jump is half just knowing what kind of answers are expected from you, and indeed half is probably just luck

ReputationRep:
    ahh thank you :') I need AAA, my capability grades from school are A*A*A* but I doubt I'll get them tbh :/ I dont have the 'technique ability' which required which tbh sucks but AAA is my offer so i'd be estatic with them

Here:

try page 11 part c i) or page 12 part d (its a 6 marker) or page 14 on rice.

I dont expect a typed answer btw, just like a typed structure as to how you'd answer it, as I know its abit early and you may not have revised/learnt it yet (as we havent yet)
    page 11 of what?!?! :P and ah luckily we have now covered everything in the spec feels great! but all the more pressure to revise D:

ReputationRep:
    My method is just to write out notes constantly and practice papers are a lifesaver too, when it comes to a week before learn all of the previous essay questions that have came up off by heart, this way it will you if that essay came up again but also it will improve your knowledge throughout the paper.
    Worked for me A (254 UMS) at AS

ReputationRep:
    page 11 of what?!?! :P and ah luckily we have now covered everything in the spec feels great! but all the more pressure to revise D:

you've finished all of f215 :O thats crazy!!! go you! sorry I posted it above ^

ReputationRep:
    A*, on OCR. I find that the jump is half just knowing what kind of answers are expected from you, and indeed half is probably just luck
    So to get the A* overall i just have to achieve a 90% UMS average at A2?? i Managed to get 100% at AS but that was down to abundance of time and LOOOOAAAADS of luck D: worried i wont be able to make a repeat performance xD

ReputationRep:
    So to get the A* overall i just have to achieve a 90% UMS average at A2?? i Managed to get 100% at AS but that was down to abundance of time and LOOOOAAAADS of luck D: worried i wont be able to make a repeat performance xD
    Yaah that's right. I'm sure that you'll be fine considering you did so well at AS, don't doubt yourself! Good luck! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    you've finished all of f215 :O thats crazy!!! go you! sorry I posted it above ^
    Ah just saw the link xD I will do it tomorrow morning as im off to sleep now xD Trust me its better that you wait for a proper response than one from me when im half asleep

And yeah we finished it early though because we learnt one section of it after doing our as exams last year

ReputationRep:
    Yaah that's right. I'm sure that you'll be fine considering you did so well at AS, don't doubt yourself! Good luck! :awesome:
    Thanks!!! Im trying not to doubt myself but OMG so much rests on these exams and im the only A* (or even A) candidate in my biology class D: Teachers have high expectations now haha

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I was hoping if someone would be willing to share their revision techniques and tips I'm doing mind maps, using whiteboards, posters, typed notes, writing stuff out, verbally speaking to someone, youtube videos and I was wondering what other methods there are by learning. I tend to find I do better/absorb more when I used a variety of stuff.
    I'd really appreciate any help.
    I'm enjoying A2 more, but I'm finding theres ALOT to absorb.
    I tend to be lazy when writing :/ so bad since a-level I write things in shorthand or bullet point when revising

Thank you
    I got AA in the two A2 exams last year. Although I'm not entirely sure how I did it I do know that it was an absolute killer. I used:

Specifications
    Tick Sheets
    Flash Cards
    Youtube Videos
    Past papers
    more exam style questions

It was extremely repetitive and colourful and messy but it is do-able with the right organisation

Absolutely everything I could think of. I'll message you for your email tomorrow and i'll send you everything I have

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.