Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this is my first time posting, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, fairly new to the site :elefant:

Essentially I was wondering what are my chances of getting to a top university? At the moment I'm doing my Gcses, but am hoping to get around 3A*, 5As and a few B's. I realize these aren't great results, but I matured late, and many of my modular subjects suffered during years 9 and 10. I obtained a place a good sixth form (500 applicants for 10 places) where I hope I will do well at my a-levels (Mathematics and 3 sciences) after my AS year I am going to Vietnam and Laos as part of a world challenge trip, which I am paying for myself (a LOT of cake sales )
    I know I want to go to university, but not what to study (anything in the science and maths spectrum from computer science to zoology)

Thanks for reading, and for any responses

P.S again sorry if its in the wrong forum, still getting to grips with the site.

ReputationRep:
    They are very very good results! With those results the world is your oyster as you can take any a-levels you want. I think the only time that having 10A*s matters is applying to Oxbridge for medicine! My friend had worse GCSEs than you (She got A*/A's in science and maths but B/C's in everything else) and she's going to Warwick in September to do something to do with physics (Something along those lines!). Don't get too caught up with A*'s at gcse as it really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! that's really encouraging and well done to your friend

ReputationRep:
    I think A*/A's are like scout badges as they look pretty, people admire them but in reality they don't matter! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I think A*/A's are like scout badges as they look pretty, people admire them but in reality they don't matter! :P
    In addition to this most Russel group unis drop their grade requirements in clearing

For example I saw a place for dentistry in clearing past September which is odd as it's a competitive course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realred)
    Hey, this is my first time posting, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, fairly new to the site :elefant:

Essentially I was wondering what are my chances of getting to a top university? At the moment I'm doing my Gcses, but am hoping to get around 3A*, 5As and a few B's. I realize these aren't great results, but I matured late, and many of my modular subjects suffered during years 9 and 10. I obtained a place a good sixth form (500 applicants for 10 places) where I hope I will do well at my a-levels (Mathematics and 3 sciences) after my AS year I am going to Vietnam and Laos as part of a world challenge trip, which I am paying for myself (a LOT of cake sales )
    I know I want to go to university, but not what to study (anything in the science and maths spectrum from computer science to zoology)

Thanks for reading, and for any responses

P.S again sorry if its in the wrong forum, still getting to grips with the site.

Dude! Your GCSEs are amazing haha! You'll defo go to a Russell Group if you continue on your current path.

Anyway, you're fine don't worry! I for example got straight C's, seriously all grade C at GCSE. Not setting the world alight haha! Anyway, at As I chose subjects that I had the slightest chance in and took English Lang, History, RE & Applied Art. Did well, well okay at As I got ABBC unbelievably and got offers from Newcastle, Leeds and Queens for English/Linguistics! Hopefully going to Newcastle come September!

so basically, the moral of the story is that if I can do it; so can you lol!

ReputationRep:
    You're fine, don't worry.

A-levels are a lot more important than GCSE's! Just carry on doing what you're doing and you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    I hate people like you on here, you bloody well know you're results are good, just wanting praise.... tuts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, your GCSE grades are good... but that, along with good A Level results, won't be enough to get you in. You'll need a good PS, good references and some good work experience / extra curricula's / volunteering. Good grades aren't enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses, the reason I penned this question was because I got told (by a university advising teacher) that you needed 5 A* minimum for a top 40 university, got pretty worried at that point tbh . And yeah Knalchemist I plan to do volunteering in the local hospital, and have some work experience in the future (just office stuff, photocopying etc, useful though) wow JordanC55! A friend of mine went to Newcastle, he said it was fantastic, not just for the facilities, but as a place to live as a student, hope you enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    It isnt true. You dont need a string of A grades GCSEs to get into any Uni. And the remark about Russell Group Unis lowering their requirements for Clearing isnt true either.

Concentrate on getting the best A level grades you can, and on doing enough stuff outside school (p/t job, voluntary stuff, sport, music etc) to make your PS as interesting as you can.

ReputationRep:
    I got A*A*A*AABCCCCD and I'm hopefully going to King's in September

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    In addition to this most Russel group unis drop their grade requirements in clearing

For example I saw a place for dentistry in clearing past September which is odd as it's a competitive course

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a massive generalisation. There are at least five Russell Group unis that have a blanket policy of not using Clearing at all. Of the rest, certainly some might lower the requirements a little for some courses, but it's not the norm.

Dentistry won't be in Clearing. Most likely if there was a place in Clearing, either it was a mistake or it was a result of something unusual like the university using their own internal waiting list of candidates to contact in the case of having places, and Clearing being the only UCAS process available to them to offer a particular candidate a place. If you'd phoned the uni up and asked about getting a dentistry place through Clearing, you wouldn't have got anywhere with it :nah:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The university advertising for "dentistry" in 2012 was portsmouth advertising places on this course

The headings in clearing are generic key words - they aren't linked to specific courses except by whatever key words universities CHOOSE to associate with their courses.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs aren't the be all and end all, but yours are great! Your A levels will be the most important but other factors play a part too such as your personal statement, experience in the field, extra curricular activities etc.
    I just got accepted to study Zoology at Exeter University with GCSE results of 2A*s and 9As and ADD at A level, but they took into account my personal statement and the fact that I'd done a year studying Vet Nursing at a different uni. Reading and Cardiff rejected me within a week because my A levels weren't good enough so I didn't have much hope for Exeter but they took everything into account and accepted me.
    Good luck with what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Yes, your GCSE grades are good... but that, along with good A Level results, won't be enough to get you in. You'll need a good PS, good references and some good work experience / extra curricula's / volunteering. Good grades aren't enough.
    Oh please, I applied to a russell group uni for a course which i didnt even write a PS for and I got an offer within 5 days. Outside of a few subjects and unis, they really don't give a **** apart from youre grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I got 3 offers from a Russell Group uni and didn't do any extra curricular work or that (not unless you count winning trophies with the school football team as that). It really depends on the course, I did a purely physics based personal statement (applied for astro&theoretical physics and also aeronautical engineering) and got 3 unconditional offers, and I meantioned 1 word related to the aero course "aeroplane", literally. Well if you're applying to a science based course and have good grades then, from my understanding, your grades will far outweigh your extra curricular activities & ps. But obviously when applying to medicine, nursing, teaching etc they are probably on par with each other.

Also, if your applying to the TOP Unis (I.e. Oxbridge, LSE etc) then I imagine you need to separate yourself from the crowd as most people will have top grades.

I'm from Scotland and have pretty good higher grades and little extra curricular activities and will definately be attending a good Russell Group uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.