Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

As it says in the title, my halls room is really really cold. I only have Galileo thermometer for which the coldest bulb is 18 degrees, so all I know is that the temperature hasn't reached that for the last couple of days.

The radiator comes on at some point in the morning (not sure on the exact times) and then again from 6 to 11pm, and I have it on full while it's on. The room is tolerably warm during those times - though I will still have two jumpers on - and freezing when the radiator is off.

As I'm paying full halls rent even during the Easter holidays and my rent is meant to include heating, can I do something?

ReputationRep:
    Can you not complain to someone? Doesn't really sound fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    Can you not complain to someone? Doesn't really sound fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know who to complain to I should really have done it before the Easter holidays started, but I was busy - my room has been freezing for at least the past week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    I don't know who to complain to I should really have done it before the Easter holidays started, but I was busy - my room has been freezing for at least the past week.
    So is your heating not working at the moment then? If it's not working then report it to the maintenance people. Otherwise best thing to do is get a hot water bottle and put it under your sweater to keep you warm whilst in your room. Ask the staff who work at your halls who you can report it to. I usually report to someone at reception if something's wrong if you have one of those too

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

As it says in the title, my halls room is really really cold. I only have Galileo thermometer for which the coldest bulb is 18 degrees, so all I know is that the temperature hasn't reached that for the last couple of days.

The radiator comes on at some point in the morning (not sure on the exact times) and then again from 6 to 11pm, and I have it on full while it's on. The room is tolerably warm during those times - though I will still have two jumpers on - and freezing when the radiator is off.

As I'm paying full halls rent even during the Easter holidays and my rent is meant to include heating, can I do something?
    You should some sort of place at the university to talk to about the accommodation issues or go to the union for help.

If that doesn't help, buy a fan heater and use up all the electricity

ReputationRep:
    The heating IS working, it's just not on for long enough each day, and even when it is on, I'm wearing two jumpers, a hat, and a scarf.

And if I have to have a fan heater they'll damn well provide me with one- heating is included in my contract.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in halls the heating was only on for 2 hours every day even though heating was supposedly included in the contract. I don't know if there's much you can do about it, they just try to make money wherever they can. So yeah, I would get a fan heater if I were you - it's not really fair, but you might as well make the best of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Fan heaters are strictly against the rules (like, they'll throw you out of halls if you're found with one against the rules) and the plug sockets in rooms are limited to 5 amps which I don't think would even power one.

I tried just running the hot tap in my sink but it was producing quite a lot of steam and I was worried about it setting the smoke alarm off.

ReputationRep:
    They just came to see me and said I can have an oil-filled radiator, which is nice of them

ReputationRep:
    They just came to see me and said I can have an oil-filled radiator, which is nice of them
    why not a fan heater?
    The oil-filled radiators are quite a bit more expensive.......but generally its nice to have a heater of some sort in case the heating system is slow or isn't great, my family has one for the living room, cos putting the main heater can be slow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    why not a fan heater?
    The oil-filled radiators are quite a bit more expensive.......but generally its nice to have a heater of some sort in case the heating system is slow or isn't great, my family has one for the living room, cos putting the main heater can be slow.
    The fire risk, I assume - they're providing it so I can't be fussy

ReputationRep:
    The fire risk, I assume - they're providing it so I can't be fussy
    Thats even better, nice

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.