Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Close this mods.

ReputationRep:
    You will pay 4 years of tuition, NHS pays the 5th year.

Surely salary shouldn't be an important factor, you should have applied to do dentistry because you like the idea of the job?

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius

I don't see how you can say paying more of your loan back when you will earn much more than the average wage (and so can afford to) is unfair, and it is certainly not a reason not to be a dentist if that's what you truly want!

ReputationRep:
    I think raising the tuition fees could have the advantage of students who are actually determined and have a passion for studying to apply and it's not just about money. But £9,000 per annum does have it's downsides.

ReputationRep:
    You're paying back the most because you have a job which means you can afford to. How can you complain about this when you're guaranteed a job that will comfortably pay you a high income and a quality pension. If you're earning 100k a year, you can afford to give 8,000 in tax back to society to help support the people that allow you to make money (your patients, the ones with 'useless' degrees like fine art, who earn nothing and therefore pay nothing back...) I disagree with the raised fees but I won't go into why here.

ReputationRep:
    For a £25k graduate, the cost of repayments is the same as buying a smart phone contract. For those earning more, then it's still really not too much of a burden. At £25k, the amount you pay towards the student loan is just 1.4% of your income. It's really not a lot, especially when you consider that around 20% of your income will go towards tax and national insurance anyway.

Apparently the average income for a dentist is £85k... At that rate, you'll be paying back around 6.8% of your salary towards the loan and around 34% will go for tax/NI.

On an £85k salary, it's hardly going to degrade your quality of life by having to pay £5.7k each year back to the government for your loan. You'll still have £50k to take home! It's that loan which means you earn a hell of a lot in the first place.

The student loan really isn't that expensive. It's scrapped after 30 years anyway. I do think people should consider how relevant their degree is, but the money shouldn't really stop anyone. As a dentist, you'll be doing a lot better than the majority of the population anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.