Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hate my thighs - can they not be changed Watch

I have something between an hourglass an a pear shape. I have a small waist and my shoulders and hips are in line. I had B cup breasts which I had enlarged to a D cup a while ago.

I have always primarily gained weight on my hips and thighs. My older sister has a different body shape - wider waist, narrower hips and slim thighs.
    The insides of my thighs have always been pudgy. Since my hips are relatively 'wide' I'll have a very small thigh gap anyway.

They just feel so fat for my otherwise size 8/10. I hate them so much and I really envy girls with firm, slim thighs.
    I am one for standing up to reality, but I do feel like it is a genetical fault. I work to stay slim - I don't eat any refined carbs, sweets or junk food. I cook all my own meals - vegetables and either fish or pure chicken fillet. I do cardio on the threadmill every second day.
    Last year I did loads of exercises for the bum and legs every day. The rest of my body toned up, the thighs stayed the same. I'm not even sure if I should bother doing exercises for the legs anymore, it just makes no difference at all.
    Last summer I was fed up so I took a major step. I decided to get laser lipo on my thighs. It is like liposuction just less invasive (you stay awake). I wore the special pants for three weeks after, but I couldn't really see much difference. The surgeon said that once the fat cells were sucked out of the entire area, any new weight would go other places on the body first if I gained weight. Which was not true, I gained 2 lbs over Christmas, and my thighs are fatter than ever.

I'm so depressed. For girls with nice thighs, have you always had them or did you do anything specific?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe doing bike exercises and cross trainer they might help you tone them up, but don't worry about your thighs! It might just be that your body was made that way.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, a large thigh gap is just wrong, and society is trying to force people to look in a certain way. Larger thighs are better than skinny thighs, within reason of course

ReputationRep:
    maybe you should work on accepting yourself instead of spending crazy amounts on surgery? I have really big thighs and they just will not shrink no matter what I do, I exercise a lot and they stay the same, if I'm injured and can't work out they stay big, if I lose or gain weight they stay proportionally big... that's just how they're meant to be, I understand how you feel, I used to suffer from anorexia and my thighs were a huge thing for me and it's taken years to come to terms with them but seriously THERE IS MORE TO LIFE, honestly my thighs do what they need to do and I'm 99% sure that noone other than me could give a **** whether the circumference of my thighs is 19" or 22"

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. I wanted surgery on mine for ages, I was fortunate to have a boob growth spurt a year ago so I'm a D cup but my thighs still look big to me. Thing is though, I've never had a problem getting men and I always attract bum and thigh men, a lot of my friends actually turned out to be really jealous of my shape which seems crazy to me. You sound like you're proportioned exactly like me (from what you described), I went through years of starving myself then binging and purging and it all turned out to be for nothing. I still have my bad days where I hate them but I avoid cellulite as well as a can and just live with them. Eventually I've realised they're not that bad, I do pole dancing which involves getting my legs out for class which was scary at first but it built up my confidence. I've come to terms with never being able to wear hot pants or shorts that sit on the widest part of my legs and to be honest that's the only negative effect it has on me! I didn't need surgery to change myself, it was just altering my outlook which took effort but it wasn't impossible.

Obviously if you do feel you need surgery then nobody has the right to stop you and if you do feel terrible about them it might help, but before you do remember we are our own worst critics and not everyone views us the way we view ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    You sound very insecure. Maybe you should just try accepting yourself rather than getting surgery for your 'flaws'?

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as "spot weight loss", so you can't just lose weight off your thighs. This is maybe why you think there's been no change, as the rest of your body will change in proportion to the change in your thighs.
    for anyone of a size 8/10, surgery is pretty extreme.
    However patronising I may have sounded, I do have a similar problem. I recently gave up ballet dancing and have found that my thighs have lost definition (and my stomach!!), so perhaps joining a new sport or fitness class could help you tone the muscles more, and achieve a more toned figure all around

(Original post by rachelcichuta)
    There is no such thing as "spot weight loss", so you can't just lose weight off your thighs. This is maybe why you think there's been no change, as the rest of your body will change in proportion to the change in your thighs.
    for anyone of a size 8/10, surgery is pretty extreme.
    However patronising I may have sounded, I do have a similar problem. I recently gave up ballet dancing and have found that my thighs have lost definition (and my stomach!!), so perhaps joining a new sport or fitness class could help you tone the muscles more, and achieve a more toned figure all around
    Yeah I've been thinking of trying an entirely new exercise to see if it helps.
    I am aware that I cannot "spot reduce" - I know that to lose in one particular area you have to lose everywhere. But even if I lose a lot of weight everywhere, the thighs stay. I know (from experience) that my collarbones will be sticking out before the inside of my thighs goes.
    I know people say these things about surgery, that you shouldn't do it unless you absolutely have to. But the truth is (and I am well informed on surgery at this point) that those who don't need it is much get better results, generally. Slim bodies get better definition with lipo and those who already have breast tissue get better looking breasts after a boob job. Those who urgently need to lose weight shouldn't use lipo and those who are completely flat chested won't get a good result with breast augmention.

Anyway, that's beside the point. My mum has similar thighs and she has quite large thigh muscles. I am wondering if I'm the same - although there is a "bulk", there are limits for how much fat I can "grab".
    I might still be retaining some water after the laser lipo, so I'm thinking of getting this one treatment just to drain it out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.