Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i faced problem while i study my english legal system since chap 2..
    could somebody giv me a help?
    may i know where can i get note for this subject?
    any tips or technique in study law?
    sorry for any grammar mistake...
    thx=]

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm currently in Year 12 with both my AS Level Law (OCR) exams in May. I'd love to help! Well, the English Legal System topic is very long, and rather difficult to remember and get your head round.

Well, there are more or less 12 topics in this module. There are 7 questions in the exam. You answer 4. Thus, revising 6 or 7 topics is the best thing to do. And the topics I'd suggest revising would be:

ADR, Police Powers, The Legal Profession, The Judiciary, Bail, Sentencing and one other of your choice.

What you should do, is look over the mark scheme, and revise the answers to all the questions of those above topics. This may seem like a lot of information to remember, and I agree it is, but you still have around one month, try and memorize one chapter per day, and then keep going over those chapters till you get it, and it comes natural.

All you have to do is put the work in! Literally, that's all it is. And don't be nervous, whatever happens, happens.

Good luck, all the best!
    David

ReputationRep:
    Hi what would be the main areas to focus on for may 2013?

ReputationRep:
    Police Powers, The Judiciary, Sentencing, The Legal Proffession, ADR and Bail

ReputationRep:
    I did this in January last year and got an A and it's so easy compared to the second year with the special study In tort of criminal. But in terms of doing well on it, I used to get an a4 piece of paper and right the topic on the top and then write the points which will get me the marks. Iv forgot how many marks it is for each question but lets say it's 12 marks and it's about barristers I would right key points like called to the bar, inns of court blah blah so you when the marker sees it he/she is like yes, tick tick tick! It worked for me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the section a of its the easy bit as your saying because you just need to know your stuff but I'm straddling to answer the section B questions where you have to discuss the topics??? Any tips for that area? A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi asad1996, can I clarify is section B the second paper? Is that what you are meaning? So delegated legislation etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No I mean for each question there are two parts; first part is describe, second part is to discuss the area e.g applying it advantages/disadvantages real life situations etc... Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry!! Well this paper we are talking about is very basic although it was hard at the time. It's all memory based! So generic things apply in many areas.
    Solicitors/Barristers- Cost/Competition/Gendermix/Background
    Judges- Age/Gendermix/Background

What I would say is you can afford to leave one or two topics out of your revision and just concentrate on the others and nail then because you can choose the question you answer can't you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevensays)
    Oh sorry!! Well this paper we are talking about is very basic although it was hard at the time. It's all memory based! So generic things apply in many areas.
    Solicitors/Barristers- Cost/Competition/Gendermix/Background
    Judges- Age/Gendermix/Background

What I would say is you can afford to leave one or two topics out of your revision and just concentrate on the others and nail then because you can choose the question you answer can't you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically, (b) questions are the questions that will test your understanding. (a) tests your memory really, but they try and catch you out with (b). With (b), look in the mark scheme, and learn the answers to the questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.