Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariobros)
    Hold on... Do you mean you you can't earn that straight after vt?? Because that's understandable... How about 5-10 years into the job? Surely 90-100k is attainable in ur mid-30s right magnanimity?
    No, you can't expect to necessarily earn that after 5-10 years. The vast majority of dentists do NOT earn 90-100K.
    A practice owner might be able to if you had several surgeries etc. However, I think you should take into account three things if you don't believe me.

1. NHS contract values are shrinking and they hardly ever give out new ones in England. Full time jobs are getting rarer and rarer.

2. Independent NHS practices will become rarer and rarer due to the rise of corporates owning multiple practices. This reduces the chance of you becoming a practice owner. Again, it's not impossible but not easy. The gov't may favour corporates in terms of giving new contracts.

3. Direct access has just been approved. The new contract which will be up and running by the time you qualify and will use therapists much more ("skill mix"). This is to get the same work done cheaper. No one's really sure where this leaves associates except that it will mean less money than now and a greater chance of unemployment.

Dentistry can be a great career. It can be very interesting when you get to use your brain. But if you think it's going to be very financially rewarding, you will likely be very disappointed. I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muchomungo)
    No, you can't expect to necessarily earn that after 5-10 years. The vast majority of dentists do NOT earn 90-100K.
    A practice owner might be able to if you had several surgeries etc. However, I think you should take into account three things if you don't believe me.

1. NHS contract values are shrinking and they hardly ever give out new ones in England. Full time jobs are getting rarer and rarer.

2. Independent NHS practices will become rarer and rarer due to the rise of corporates owning multiple practices. This reduces the chance of you becoming a practice owner. Again, it's not impossible but not easy. The gov't may favour corporates in terms of giving new contracts.

3. Direct access has just been approved. The new contract which will be up and running by the time you qualify and will use therapists much more ("skill mix"). This is to get the same work done cheaper. No one's really sure where this leaves associates except that it will mean less money than now and a greater chance of unemployment.

Dentistry can be a great career. It can be very interesting when you get to use your brain. But if you think it's going to be very financially rewarding, you will likely be very disappointed. I'm sorry.
    Listen muchomungo, i understand you and magnanimity are probably quite experienced. But i just did a google search on 'full time dentist jobs in london' and haven't really been able to find many jobs offering less than 100k. Are u saying all the Ads on the web are lying??

ReputationRep:
    Listen muchomungo, i understand you and magnanimity are probably quite experienced. But i just did a google search on 'full time dentist jobs in london' and haven't really been able to find many jobs offering less than 100k. Are u saying all the Ads on the web are lying??
    I just searched the same terms and do not get that at all. Care to link some of the adverts from the front page of results you're talking about so the people you're talking to can address them?

NB: I'm not in the least interested in Dentistry, I simply subscribed to this thread because I found it pretty entertaining to see you argue, not on the basis of the facts presented to you, but on the basis of your wish that certain things were the case (namely that Dentistry somehow earns you more than a consultant-level doctor for the majority of your career).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I just searched the same terms and do not get that at all. Care to link some of the adverts from the front page of results you're talking about so the people you're talking to can address them?

NB: I'm not in the least interested in Dentistry, I simply subscribed to this thread because I found it pretty entertaining to see you argue, not on the basis of the facts presented to you, but on the basis of your wish that certain things were the case (namely that Dentistry somehow earns you more than a consultant-level doctor for the majority of your career).
    ok...heres just a few examples i found with a quick search
    1)http://jobs.professionalpassport.com...ampaign=Indeed

2) http://www.cv-library.co.uk/uk-jobs/...ntist-Job.html

heres 2 that are not in london...but i would gladly move for:

3) http://www.flamehealth.com/Job/Denti...Cheshire/37484

4) http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/J...JobId=56346550

im sure you could find more examples if u spend more than 5mins looking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    No I would say that figure is pretty accurate for your average full time dentist.

I can't speak for England, I have no experience of the system there but in Scotland you'd need to gross ~£11000 a month to make that salary and that is not easy.
    Here's one for you Magnanimity in scotland, working only 4 days a week! http://jobs.networkopen.co.uk/vacanc...ntral-scotland

ReputationRep:

Most of these have got to be Pre tax! Tax is a real pain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I said give links from the first page of results searching the terms you claimed you did for a reason, because you claimed you could barely find anything under £100k. You have not supported this in any way - not only is at least one of those not over £100k (you think £70-100k means you'll be getting £100k?) but you could easily have missed out 80% of the jobs which may or may not have been offered at lower salaries. You also realise that Cheshire is one of the wealthiest areas in the UK? Just how many job openings do you think there will be there over time? I'm sure you could find more examples of jobs far under £100k if you 'spent more than 5 mins looking'. I'm sure the resident dentists will be able to comment on the jobs you've linked better than me.

ReputationRep:
    I said give links from the first page of results searching the terms you claimed you did for a reason, because you claimed you could barely find anything under £100k. You have not supported this in any way - not only is at least one of those not over £100k (you think £70-100k means you'll be getting £100k?) but you could easily have missed out 80% of the jobs which may or may not have been offered at lower salaries. You also realise that Cheshire is one of the wealthiest areas in the UK? Just how many job openings do you think there will be there over time? I'm sure you could find more examples of jobs far under £100k if you 'spent more than 5 mins looking'. I'm sure the resident dentists will be able to comment on the jobs you've linked better than me.
    Beckham used to live in Cheshire 😵

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    These were first page results, and then i branched further to see what else was available. The point is...even if some jobs do offer only 50-60k...many offer higher. I literally spent 5mins if that looking for some jobs and i still found 4 jobs offering that high. If i bothered/had the time to contact practices independently and look in other sources im sure i could find waay more. This just goes to show that if you have a good enough cv and some experience, in dentistry, you can definitely earn 100k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    Most of these have got to be Pre tax! Tax is a real pain

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL yh they probably are pre-tax. But then everything gets tax'd

ReputationRep:
    These were first page results, and then i branched further to see what else was available. The point is...even if some jobs do offer only 50-60k...many offer higher. I literally spent 5mins if that looking for some jobs and i still found 4 jobs offering that high. If i bothered/had the time to contact practices independently and look in other sources im sure i could find waay more. This just goes to show that if you have a good enough cv and some experience, in dentistry, you can definitely earn 100k
    A job may be able to offer £100k worth of work, that does not mean that's what you will get paid. You need to earn it, and that is the difficult part.

What a list is worth is not what you will get paid.

Sorry bud, if you could earn £100k I'd have a hell of a lot more job satisfaction, as would muchomungo, but it just doesnt work like you think it does. I wish it did. But for what it's worth, I want for nothing even just working part time. If you can't have a comfortable life without earning £100k you need your head looked at.

Oh and btw cv means very little in general practice dentistry. It's all about how fast you can work without leaving a trail of complaints behind you! Most dentists realise that providing good quality work is more important than a couple of extra quid at the end of the month.

ReputationRep:
    It amazes me that the OP is making out a 65k salary like it's peanuts.

ReputationRep:
    Dentists would earn considerably a bit more in Australia and North America. Not that 65k is a bad salary of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Dentists would earn considerably a bit more in Australia and North America. Not that 65k is a bad salary of course!
    Twice the pay for half the work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Dentists would earn considerably a bit more in Australia and North America
    It's nigh on impossible for UK medics/dentists to be able to work in North America though isn't it because they don't recognise the BDS/BChD?

A friend of mine (a dentist) looked at moving there as her husband's company was looking to relocate him (Texas I believe) and the hoops she had to jump through were ridiculous. USMLE exam(s) which are supposed to be horrendous, then a residency (which are virtually impossible to get due to competition from homegrown grads) followed by the legal restrictions on when/where/how many hours you are allowed to work basically meant that she was unable to do it and she and her husband decided to stay put here instead.

I'm not sure if it's the same for everybody of course but from the way she described it, it sounded like a bureaucratic nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom31)
    It's nigh on impossible for UK medics/dentists to be able to work in North America though isn't it because they don't recognise the BDS/BChD?

A friend of mine (a dentist) looked at moving there as her husband's company was looking to relocate him (Texas I believe) and the hoops she had to jump through were ridiculous. USMLE exam(s) which are supposed to be horrendous, then a residency (which are virtually impossible to get due to competition from homegrown grads) followed by the legal restrictions on when/where/how many hours you are allowed to work basically meant that she was unable to do it and she and her husband decided to stay put here instead.

I'm not sure if it's the same for everybody of course but from the way she described it, it sounded like a bureaucratic nightmare!
    Dentists don't do USMLE exams to go to the USA. They must first pay for a 2 year conversion course costing approx $160,000 to convert the uk's BDS into their DDS. Everyone who graduates must then pass NBDE exams and state exams. To get a job, you'll have to get a job with a dental practice that'll sponsor you for a visa & after 5 years you'll become a permanent resident. The pracitces aren't in the big cities though, they'll be in smaller towns and cities where less local graduates want to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Paper Spock)
    Dentists don't do USMLE exams to go to the USA. They must first pay for a 2 year conversion course costing approx $160,000 to convert the uk's BDS into their DDS. Everyone who graduates must then pass NBDE exams and state exams. To get a job, you'll have to get a job with a dental practice that'll sponsor you for a visa & after 5 years you'll become a permanent resident. The pracitces aren't in the big cities though, they'll be in smaller towns and cities where less local graduates want to work.
    Right, I knew there was some kind of ongoing process by which the BDS is "transferred" to their system but assumed it was the USMLE. I know that whichever it was, it pretty much made it unfeasible for her to do. I wonder why it takes 2 years of additional conversion training though? Surely the BDS/DDS can't be that different in content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom31)
    Right, I knew there was some kind of ongoing process by which the BDS is "transferred" to their system but assumed it was the USMLE. I know that whichever it was, it pretty much made it unfeasible for her to do. I wonder why it takes 2 years of additional conversion training though? Surely the BDS/DDS can't be that different in content
    They probably don't want dentists from here who don't have to do an undergrad degree first to be able to go the USA and work there at a younger age with less debt.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.